Go Down

Topic: Adapting FreqCount to use two inputs ?  (Read 682 times) previous topic - next topic

Jarkman

I'm working on a Uno-based project - a magnetometer for geophysics - that needs to measure two frequencies in the 50-100 kHz range at about the same time to look for a difference,

FreqCount looks like just the job, but it is restricted to a single input pin.

I'm not sure if this is really a hardware restriction, or if FreqCount can be generalised to read two frequencies from two pins.

Any suggestions ?

Hi Jarkman:

I suspect you are working on logging data from two FGM-3 sensors.
I gave this a try a couple of years ago.

1. I used an IC  digital multiplexer (a 54153)  to alternately connect  the two sensors the counter input on the Arduino. I figured it would be good enough to read one sensor then read the other.

2. I wrote an entire "sketch" to log data from the two sensors to the SD card. BUT I found that the final product was impractical, because the sensors tend to drift.
Here is a URL that discusses the stability of the sensors IN GREAT DETAIL:
https://www.cv.nrao.edu/~demerson/cs/magtherm.htm

I can send you more info on what I did. Contact me at ctyoung@mtu.edu.

Chuck

Jarkman

Chuck - yes, I have two FGM-3s sitting here. I don't know much about the sensors, I'm building this for a friend who is interested in geophysics, so I've done no research at all myself.

I had thought of the multiplexer wheeze myself, but I wasn't sure how long a sampling interval I'd need to measure an interesting difference. I'd love to hear more about what you did.

Thanks,

Richard

I'm working on a Uno-based project - a magnetometer for geophysics - that needs to measure two frequencies in the 50-100 kHz range at about the same time to look for a difference,

FreqCount looks like just the job, but it is restricted to a single input pin.

I'm not sure if this is really a hardware restriction, or if FreqCount can be generalised to read two frequencies from two pins.

Any suggestions ?
You might want to look at the code on http://www.avdweb.nl/arduino/hardware-interfacing/frequency-period-counter.html There's a couple of ways to d it there.
Bill

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy