Go Down

Topic: IR detector for FTIR (Read 243 times) previous topic - next topic

Lithium tantalate crystal.

Thats what the IR light source will hit first, but behind that I have no idea what kind of electronics will be used to turn the IR light and radiation into an electronic data.

This will be a pyroelectric infrared detector. It is measuring wavelengths in the 4000 - 400 cm-1 range.

Is this possible with arduino? How?

JimboZA

I doubt if anyone actually understands what you're asking. Are you asking advice on what sensor to use and how to hook it up?

This will be a pyroelectric infrared detector.
Do you have one?- if so post details.

Btw, since when are wavelengths measured in units of 1/length?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

These electrical components you see the pictures on this page.....

http://www.dias-infrared.com/products/infrared-detectors-and-arrays/pyroelectrical-detectors-pyrosens

I want to know how to hook this up to be able to send its detected infrared spectrum to the computer where it will be processed in a program called an interferogram.

If this is set up the same way as any other IR detector then I'll just do it that way, im worried that it will be different due to the greater amount and resolution of data that is carried from it to the computer.

el_supremo

Is this possible with arduino?
Yes.

How?
I presume that you can build one of the two example circuits shown on the "circuit examples" datasheet. But you must take care that they require a voltage of 9-12V and the Arduino doesn't like anything higher than 5V.

Do you know how much these things cost? Have you even got one (or more)?

Pete

Yes i know how much FTIR's cost, i am building one, I know every component I need to find or make and I'm figuring out the electronics for it now. The IR detector is $110 from a certain source, it's the electronics aspect that I know the least about.

What do you turn to as an alternative to arduino when the voltage gets up to above 5v?

el_supremo

The IR detector is $110
I was curious how much they'd cost because the description suggested they were a precision device - certainly not your average IR detector :-)

If you know what you're doing with electronics, the 12V should not present a problem at all.

You'll need to evaluate your requirements for resolution and compare that with what you can obtain from the Arduino. The ADC on an Arduino is 10-bits so the resolution is approximately one part in a thousand (=0.1%). If the Arduino ADC isn't sufficient, you can always add an external higher-precision ADC and use the Arduino to read and process the data. Whether the Arduino is really the best fit for your project is utlimately up to you.

What are you going to be measuring with this device and what accuracy/resolution do you need?

Pete

It's the detector of an FTIR so its basically measuring a HeNe laser and IR radiation that has passed through a chemical sample so that it can measure the molecular vibrations of it and Identify it ultimately. So as high resolution as possible, micron resolution is used on the moing parts with air bearings, for example.

tbaggins

Dec 05, 2014, 05:59 am Last Edit: Dec 05, 2014, 06:02 am by tbaggins
http://hackaday.io/project/1279-ramanpi-raman-spectrometer, check this out.... it is a Raman system, so it uses a different light spectrum and measures different properties, but has the ability do ultimately do what an FTIR does, which is give you qualitative analysis of a chemical or mixture of chemicals

Sorry, just read the purpose of the original post. This will not do pyro IR. But, still is interesting if you want to have a look.

Go Up