Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Game Controller  (Read 1077 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello Guys

If you see, i'm new here smiley First, I please you to understand my grammatical english mistakes. I'm from switzerland and still studing english  smiley-red

I'm gonna search for a arduino project and i had the idea to built a Gamer Interface to controll all the thousend functions in Microsoft's Flight Simulator X.

My first idea was to use the arduino to convert the incomming signals into a MIDI Signal so i can connect it to my audio interface. On my Computer is a programm installed, that converts the MIDI signal into Keyboard Shortcuts or even singel keys.
Thats the first solution.

The second was to communicate over the arduinos USB Port and convert the incomming serial Signal from the arduino and send it to a Game Controller under Windows.

What do you think is the better/easier Method? Do you have a better solution? Are there any Tutorials, that can help me?

Thanks a lot!
Noah Huetter

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

I'm gonna search for a arduino project and i had the idea to built a Gamer Interface to controll all the thousend functions in Microsoft's Flight Simulator X.
Control them based on what?

View Profile

i dont know, if i understand you question correctly. i would controll the functions of the flight simulator. Now i controll them with multiple keyboard shortcuts. i just wanna build a, eventually realistic looking controll panel. like that: http://www.saitek.de/prod/switch.html

do you have an idea to realise that with the arduino?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Whether it is possible for the Arduino to output data to control Flight Simulator, or not, I do not know. Assuming it is possible to do so, the Arduino has to be programmed to make decisions, based on some input, to generate the correct output.

What input will the Arduino get to be used in making the correct decisions to determine the correct output?

View Profile

for example if i press a button, connetcted to an input on arduino, the arduino should send a signal to the computer. the computer converts this signal in a 'language' that the simulator understands for example a symple keyboardshortcut like Ctrl+W.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

for example if i press a button, connetcted to an input on arduino, the arduino should send a signal to the computer.
This is possible.

the computer converts this signal in a 'language' that the simulator understands for example a symple keyboardshortcut like Ctrl+W.
Computers are stump stupid. They can't do that. They run applications that might me able to do that. You'd need to write that application, though.

View Profile

okay so i found a programm that converts an incomming MIDI signal into a keyboard shortcut. i think thats the best method, or?

Now are there any tutorials for startig with midi translation?

UK - Scotland
View Profile

Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong .. but you want to make a flight simulator input ??

.. and your doing this by converting your interface into midi then from midi to keyboard short-cuts ?!

..... would a simpler solution be to make your Flight simulator input and use the arduino as a PS2/USB interface (keyboard)

zx

View Profile

.. and your doing this by converting your interface into midi then from midi to keyboard short-cuts ?!

uuhm yes that was my idea.
but have you got a better idea to realise that? you said something about a PS/2 Keyboard. what does the arduino in this case exactly?

Netherlands
God Member
A naughty mind is a joy forever.
View Profile

I don't really know whether midi will be the best way possible. On the playground you'll find several articles/projects on Midi Though.

I do know that it's possible to read an PS2 Keyboard using an arduino, with a little bit of luck it may also be possible to let Arduino behave like an PS2-keyboard. If that's possible you could add almost every knob/switch/stick you like and have arduino send the proper PS2-commands once you use one.

Most interesting would probably be the serial port. By plugging an Arduino to the PC USB-port it will show as an serial or Com:-port. Should you be able to let the flight simulator talk with a serial port... you can plug the aruino in without much extra components.You'll only need to check switches and send the right commands to USB/the serial port. Using Midi you'll need some extra components.

Although I don't fly much virtually, I managed to crash on my own house using Google Earths simulator only once, it seems to me non musical applications will have earlier  and a lot more support for serial ports as Midi.

UK - Scotland
View Profile

You can reprogram the AVR chip on the UNO and MEGA to act as a Keyboard/mouse HID ...

here is a link on instructions (mac unfortunately) http://hunt.net.nz/users/darran/weblog/13a32/Arduino_UNO_Keyboard_HID_Part_1.html
for PC I would assume you will need an AVR programmer (google AVR pocket programmer) and the software would probably be AVR Dude

here is a youtube video also explaining Arduino and Keyboard emulator:

note .. none of the links belong to me ... and how do you stop flash video being embedded ?
zx

View Profile

okay that was really helpful!

i'm gonna search, if the flight simulator can listen to signals over the COM-Port. If that is possible i'll tkae this methode.

If that isn't possible, do you know a programm, that could convert the incoming Data into a virtual game device, if you understand me?

Leeds, UK
View Profile

Hi.
Here is a link to an FS Forum.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php/22564-Link2FS_Arduino_Keys_beta2

It's all free. You download the small utility, then you upload the sketch to your Arduino.
Any pin connected to ground (except 1, 2 and 13) gives you a key press or combination of key presses.
It's all fully programable and is a fantastic piece of freeware.
The guy who wrote it will also gladly answer any questions on it via the above forum.

I currently use it with an Uno and it gives me 19 inputs via USB. I believe a Mega will give you 56!

If anybody else is interested, it will also work with virtually anything that expects key presses.
As a test, I made a little control panel for CAD, very nice!

Colaboy

UK
View Profile

Hi, I had a similar idea to make a giant SNES controller to use to control an emulator on my pc.  smiley

I came across a 'duino clone called Teensy which is made by these people http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/ and can act as a usb keyboard/mouse so you can program it, plug it into your computer and it sees it as a keyboard. More info on how to use it as a usb keyboard here -> http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/usb_debug_only.html

Hopefully that will simplify your project?

/Ben

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: