Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Processing and Minim with some pre recorded sound - and Arduino sensors  (Read 1273 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi All,
I'm about to start a new project and would like a quick ok or other wise on the feasibility of my idea.
I want to use Processing and Minim with some pre recorded sound - straightforward I know but I also want to use Arduino (pressure sensitive pads, sonar or IR sensors) not yet decided which is best for the purpose.
The idea is that as the spectator walks past a wall mounted object the sound is generated, if they move on the sound stops. There will be three of these in a row approx 1m apart and I want to have the first one go off before the second one comes on and so on....
Has any one any experience of this and if so I would appreciate your comments code tips and any pitfalls.
The second part will involve the participant interacting with objects in a room using the same technology.

Any thoughts, hints etc will be much appreciated.

TIA,

Frank

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The idea is that as the spectator walks past a wall mounted object the sound is generated, if they move on the sound stops. There will be three of these in a row approx 1m apart and I want to have the first one go off before the second one comes on and so on....
Has any one any experience of this and if so I would appreciate your comments code tips and any pitfalls.
First thing to consider is what happens when your display attracts attention, and two people come to see it. One moves on, while the other stays. What will you display do?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi I have already considered this and it doesn't matter if one or all three sound sources are playing at the same time, any other thoughts appreciated.

TIA,

Frank

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The idea is that as the spectator walks past a wall mounted object the sound is generated, if they move on the sound stops.
Forget about there being 3 of the things. If the idea is that the display makes noise when a person approaches, and gets quiet when the person leaves, the experience is not the same if there is another person approaching while one person is stopped.

If you define what you want to happen in this situation, the implementation of the whole project is trivial. It is defining what to do when there is more than one person at/near/approaching/leaving an exhibit at one time that is the difficult part.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sure I understand your point, thanks. Do you have any advice on which sensor is best to use and how to set it up? I have never tried to do anything like this before but have seen similar type installations in galleries. i am still a newbie to both Arduino and Processing.

TIA,

Frank

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

PIR sensors sound like what you want.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8630

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: