A junkbox for electronics hobbyists!

Hello arduinoists.

I've created a website, it's a classifieds for electronics hobbyists! I'd like to know what you guys think of it because I've put a lot of work into it. Essentially it's just a plain-old classifieds system, just post and get an email when people want something you have. It's completely free and anybody can use it, and posts last 3 months.

The link >> http://www.junkbox.org/index.php

So whatchyu guys think?

PS, I'm not a spambot. Yeah I only registered a few days ago, but I used to have account here, maybe it got lost in the move?

Cool, kind of a Craigslist for us electronic junkies! I'll check it out.

Lefty

Great! I think we can do some groupon like stuff, (if I understand this correctly) someone buys a big lot of something and distributes to everyone interested for less cost than individual purchases.

How do you sort by location then?

Neat, but you need a UK version. :wink:

I haven't implemented sort by location yet, but I'm working on it in my spare time. Odd how when school's out I have more work to do.

As for the UK version, It'd be easy to make one but the problem is not enough people use the junkbox yet to warrant one.

Yea, I remember Grenadier's name, looks cool, though getting us electronics nerds to part with our odd devices might be hard

Just so you know, there is a market for anything. I've even sold broken ATX psus in the past.

grenadier:
Just so you know, there is a market for anything. I've even sold broken ATX psus in the past.

One (wo)man's trash is another (wo)man's treasure.

I'm a collector and I collect old electronics, computer processors, old software/games and literature. I also trade my shields to get items into my collection.

grenadier:

I know that, I was saying that finding a supply for the market might be hard, as we don't like to sell our stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Short update,

As of late I've been working on a system to ban the IPs of scammers, and ironing out a few bugs in the process. After that I plan on working out a way to have little country flags next to the posts, corresponding to the poster's logged IP.

If somebody is flagged a scammer, not only will they get a mean IP ban but they will also have that IP and their email posted on a webpage of known scammers. I doubt there will be much scamming going on though, as most people aren't mean spirited.

w00t! Search by location finally works. :smiley:

The key was to have the locations set by IP, and thus have them at predefined values which could then be searched. By clicking on either country or region when you view a post, you see all the other posts in that location. Now when the site becomes popular, I can simply put country flags up in the corner that people could click on for easy locationifying.

Now when the site becomes popular...

Now if the site becomes popular...

Good point. :~

Well a number of people have tried it including Hackaday and it didn't really kick off too well.

thanks for sharing it. Lots of good bits and pieces on there

KE7GKP:
I think this is GREAT! I have a bunch of stuff I can list here. I gotta prepare a good spot to make some photos, etc. Thanks for the resource! :grin:

I've seen this in the past, find a good cardboard box, large and preferably white inside, cut out the top,left and front surface, leaving the other faces (keep nicer faces). Then secure it at the corner or a room or table. Put your tripod there and lay your item inside the box and snap a shot.

http://www.netsentric.net/s.nl/it.A/id.2330/.f

This one has a hint of what I was talking about. Just don't take your shots against some stinky carpet like some people on craigslist do, please :wink:

Ooh, I just thought of something that might be a bit more popular, junk for junk trading

Nevermind, seems you already got that set up, also, there are 4 pages of offers, pretty good deals a lot of em too

Alright, today I added some more PHP madness in there.

• The site is now 100% sql injection proof.
  • Little country flags are displayed next to posts.
  • You can click on those flags to search by country.
  • BBCode is supported when posting!

Whatchyu guys think?

Site looks v. promising - in fact I think it could be a winner for secondhand / older stuff. Do you have a strategy for detering and dealing with scammers though?

So I've been screwing around with the PHP lately... and here is what I've got now.

Major changes:

• There are now subcategories.
  • You can now search 'within' a location, whereas before you could only search or pick a location.
  • IMG bbcode is now supported.
  • Added a shuffle button, so you can find random junk.

How do you guys like it? Took me quite a bit of work to get things like this. :slight_smile:

The junkbox! - All Junk

For you digital peeps, http://www.junkbox.org/index.php?category=29

So, opinions? Comments?