Go Down

Topic: Sparkfun MP3 Player Shield Compatability Problem (Read 840 times) previous topic - next topic

Imagineering

First Post on the Arduino Forum , so no Flames please 8-)

I have a Sparkfun MP3 Player Shield and have downloaded the required Library.
On the WebPage for this Shield, it is stated that the Pin Layout on the Shield does not match the Pin Layout of the Arduino Board and requires re-mapping.
The WebPage states that a line of Code in the SD2Pinmap.h File needs to be changed from SS_Pin = 10; to SS_Pin = 9:
Looking into the Library Folder, there appears to be no SD2Pinmap.h File to modify!
Does this mean that the SD2Pinmap.h File has been superceded and the Website needs updating or is there another explanation?

My requirements are to operate a Model Railway Layout using this configuration;

Arduino Mega 2560R2
Freetronics Relay 8 Shield
Freetronics 16X2 LCD Shield
Sparkfun MP3 Player Shield

I know that I will end up with various Pin conflicts, (which is why I purchased the Mega), so I'm getting each Shield up & running separately and then attempting to remap the Pins and combine the Code later.

Any help is appreciated.

johnwasser

Note that theMP3 chip and SD Card both use the SPI interface.  On the Arduino Mega the SPI interface is on completely different pins.  You will not be able to plug the board onto an Arduino Mega and expect it to work.  Some cards, like the Ethernet Shield, use the ICSP header to connect to most of the SPI pins.  That header is in the same position on both the Arduino UNO and Arduino Mega so the Ethernet Shield will work on both.  This MP3 Shield doesn't do that so you will have to re-wire manually.  See the SPI library documentation for pin numbers.

As for using Pin 9 instead of the default, just pass the pin number to SD.begin();
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Imagineering

Thanks John, I've re-evaluated my need for the LCD and have decided to keep the Laptop in the Loop temporarily so I can use the Serial println Command to feed the required  info back to the Operator. This will keep the Pin conflicts to a minimum.

johnft

First Post on the Arduino Forum , so no Flames please 8-)

I have a Sparkfun MP3 Player Shield and have downloaded the required Library.
On the WebPage for this Shield, it is stated that the Pin Layout on the Shield does not match the Pin Layout of the Arduino Board and requires re-mapping.
The WebPage states that a line of Code in the SD2Pinmap.h File needs to be changed from SS_Pin = 10; to SS_Pin = 9:
Looking into the Library Folder, there appears to be no SD2Pinmap.h File to modify!
Does this mean that the SD2Pinmap.h File has been superceded and the Website needs updating or is there another explanation?

My requirements are to operate a Model Railway Layout using this configuration;

Arduino Mega 2560R2
Freetronics Relay 8 Shield
Freetronics 16X2 LCD Shield
Sparkfun MP3 Player Shield

I know that I will end up with various Pin conflicts, (which is why I purchased the Mega), so I'm getting each Shield up & running separately and then attempting to remap the Pins and combine the Code later.

Any help is appreciated.

The MP3 player shield will definitely need manual rewiring, according to the schematic it also uses D6~D9 which will interfere with your LCD Keypad Shield.
http://www.freetronics.com

Imagineering

Thanks Johnft, we must have either cross-posted or my meaning in my last reply wasn't clear. To alleviate the Pin conflicts I won't be using the LCD in the Stack.

johnft

Thanks Johnft, we must have either cross-posted or my meaning in my last reply wasn't clear. To alleviate the Pin conflicts I won't be using the LCD in the Stack.

No worries. Good luck with the project, sounds interesting :)
http://www.freetronics.com

gallegojm

Hi imagineering
May there is two post of mine that can help you though they are based on Arduino Due and have link to my web page in french.:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=167068.msg1333918#msg1333918
and
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=168914.msg1256758#msg1256758

Imagineering

Thank you for all your replies. What I think I need to do, is to leave this part of the Project alone until I get the Layout up and running and acquire more Coding ability and then come back to this part with a better understanding.

Murray.

Go Up