Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What do I need to make a arduino buggy  (Read 1444 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey I have an arduino Mega and I recently made a buggy using picaxe at uni. I want to know a list of things I would need to make a buggy. For example, which motors? and would I need a motor driver board... Im new to all this and would appreciate some comments and guidance.

Once Im sure I have all the right stuff i think I can learn the code from tutorials and stuff. and i can put it togther fine

Thanks in advance

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

You could make a simple buggy with a couple of continuous-rotation "servo"s, some wheels and a pack of four AAs or AAAs.
It may not be necessary to use a motor shield.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

Whats the difference between a continuous-rotation servo and a motor?
and so will I only need 4 AAs to power the sensors such as IR, LEDs and servos/motors?

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Whats the difference between a continuous-rotation servo and a motor?
A continuous rotation "servo" used to be a real servo, so instead of needing a bi-directional driver like an ordinary DC motor would need, it has a simple three-wire interface - power, ground and speed/direction.
It also has gears.
and so will I only need 4 AAs to power the sensors such as IR, LEDs and servos/motors?
That depends on how many there are, and how long you want them to run for.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

What do I need to make a arduino buggy
Most any code posted on the forum this week would do.

View Profile

Ok. Im from uk, so I wanted to find servos from uk, so that I dont have to pay loads for shipping, and found this:

http://www.robotbits.co.uk/motors-gearboxes/sm-s4303r-continuous-rotation-servo/prod_65.html

If I get two of these..... each for 1 wheel, and I want the buggy to run for at least 40 mins. What power and how would I power it. Im confused bout this. Like Would I not need to power the servos seperately? The Arduino board requires about 6V (if i remember correctly). So If power the arduinoi board with 6V, how will I give extra power to the servos?

The IR sensors take 5V. And I will be using 2. I will also use couple of LEDs

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

It isn't voltage you need to worry about so much, it's amps.
Rechargeable batteries are rated in mAh.
AAs run around 2000mAh and upwards, so for a 100mA current draw, you should be good for 20 hours.
Higher current draw will not scale quite so well.
Another advantage is that cell voltage is a bit lower, so 4 NiMh cells will typically give 5V, not 6.

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

I recently made a buggy using picaxe at uni. I want to know a list of things I would need to make a buggy.

Why not, checking out how you did the first one and change a few things?

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

What do I need to make a arduino buggy
Most any code posted on the forum this week would do.
@Paul: I guess that one went right over their heads - just like their use of the term 'buggy' went right over ours.  If we knew what they were talking about we might be able to help.

Don

View Profile

Ok, thnx for all your postsso far. Ive been busy so I havnt started nething yet practically with the moving robot I want to make. However I have a few questions whcih I think i need to know the answer to before actually trying to make anything.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that a continuous rotation servo only needs to be connected to one control pin as opposed to a motor, as a motor would coding such as high 1, low 2, to make it go forward/reverse.?

But then can the servo go both foward and back using coding? (I havent looked at coding for servos yet)

Is it possible to connect a motor through the breadboard without a motor driver?, (I have tried to but I coudnt see anyway)

If I use motors, why do i need a gear system? (for example I have a couple of small 5v motors, which I think is one set gear/system/speed)

Im just learning, so help from you pros will be really beneficial  smiley
I want to understand the simple stuff, before making it.

Aslo, finally,
I would like to just buy servos, motors, just as spares, so that I can play round with them in future. I only have Arduino mega (ATmega1280), breadboard, 2 simple 5v motors, 3 digital output IR sensors, and LEDs, LDRS, wires etc.

What motors/ any motor drivers/ servos would you recomend?

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Modded servos are quite nice and easy to drive, but remember that they're not really specced for continuous usage - you may need to replace them dependent on how you (ab)use them.
Metal-geared versions are more robust but a lot more expensive.

You can't drive ordinary DC motors directly from an I/O pin, unless it is a really tiny phone vibra, in which case it won't be able to do much work.
To control a DC motor, use a transistor for a single direction, or an H bridge for bidirectional.

View Profile

ok. So If i wanted to drive a motor bi-directionally, would I need to get a chip like in the pic at the bottom of this page? http://letsmakerobots.com/node/10023
I will research h-bridges, but if theres a specific chip I need, Could you tell me which one?

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Fairly popular H-bridge chips are L293D and L298D, but choice of chip depends on choice of motor.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: