Go Down

Topic: Problem with servo and Potentiometer (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

D.J.B

the servo is not working with the potentiometer for some reason, i am using the "Knob" sketch in the arduino library in the file attched you can see my wiring please help many thanks D.J.B

D.J.B

i appreciate the help and have tested the pot with the link you gave me it seems to work perfectley is there a way i can test the servo, what about using a separate power supply? Many thanks  :P

AWOL

what about using a separate power supply?

Why, how are you powering the servo now? (I almost didn't want to have to ask that question)
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

D.J.B

i just did some research and i was powering it from the 5v on the arduino board this was not enough i believe and now power it using the VIN pin it still lags a little when i turn the pot fully the servo is like catching up is the best way i could put it, say i turn it left the pot turns a little then stops the turn stops and so on till it reaches the correct position  :~

D.J.B

will the VIN produce 12v if using the power supply? or will there be some resistance

AWOL

You should not be using the Arduino to supply powerto the servo.
Use a separate battery pack and don't forget to connect the grounds together.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

D.J.B

if i used a battery pack i just connect the + on the battery to (servo)red and - to (servo)black and only have the signal goin to the arduino?
hopefully this will sort my problem out :)

AWOL

No, you have to connect the two grounds together.

D.J.B

i am new and i know this is stupid but i dont understand what you mean :/ the ground of the servo and....

D.J.B

so the ground on the servo goes to ground on the arduino and negative on the battery pack?

Grumpy_Mike

Yes that is called a common ground.

D.J.B

thank you :) i am glad you didnt get frustrated with my little knowledge
Yes that is called a common ground.

is the reason it has to still be grounded to the arduino because the negative on the battery is not a GND?

Grumpy_Mike

No the reason is that there has to be a path in order for the current to flow to make things work. Look at that diagram in the link I posted.

D.J.B

Go Up