Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need a Auduino Board Configured and Programmed  (Read 1828 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am looking for someone to build and program a Arduino board (small and light) for use logging pressure and temperature readings. I seek to use the Honeywell HSCDANN001BA2A3. The usage of this is for measuring and logging absolute pressure at about 105,000 feet above sea level. The range logged at max altitude will be between .25 and 1.0 millibars. I also would like the same unit to measure temperature down to -100 F. We can use an external probe for this measurement. The unit will be house in a warm compartment. Total flight time to log will be 5 hours maximum. Sample rates can be performed at 30 second intervals or less. Once the unit is recovered we will need the ability to extract the information so perhaps a simple SD card could be used for the memory. Please advise if you have a lead on who can build the board and simple code.

Please contact itsupport@rae.bz with any questions or ideas.

Thanks,

-Mark

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I'm already doing Arduino programming for a high-altitude balloon payload.  Perhaps I can help.  I just weighed the Arduino UNO plus adafruit data logging shield (http://www.adafruit.com/products/243)  plus 4GB SD card.  It weighs in at 48 grams.  Do you need something lighter then that?

Your pressure sensor looks good.  It should measure in close to 0.25 millibar increments.  I have not use the I2C (Wire) bus before but it doesn't look hard.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

John Wasser,

I think you may have exactly what we want. Yes, this is for a weather balloon.

Please email me at itsupport@rae.bz so we can discuss further.

Thank you for your time.

-Mark

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

@john
I have not use the I2C (Wire) bus before but it doesn't look hard.
Check nicks pages : - http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=10896

worth every penny and more smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

@john
I have not use the I2C (Wire) bus before but it doesn't look hard.
Check nicks pages : - http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=10896

worth every penny and more smiley-wink

Noted!  Also bookmarked the 1-Wire discussion since we're using Maxim DS18B20's for interior and exterior temperature sensors.  They only go down to -55°C so the exterior sensor will probably bottom out on the way up (should be about -70°C between 11 and 20 km altitude) but then it should warm up again in the stratosphere.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I'm curious as to how non-space rated parts will do in unpressurized altitudes (partial vacuum) like that.
I would think any entrapped gas would want to expand and perhaps blow device apart.
I am sure the IC die itself would be fine, I don't know about the package itself tho.
ATMega datasheet is silent on altitude or pressure.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I'm curious as to how non-space rated parts will do in unpressurized altitudes (partial vacuum) like that.  I would think any entrapped gas would want to expand and perhaps blow device apart.

The pressure differential between sea level and space is only 14.5 PSI.  I don't expect that will cause parts to explode. 

I worry more about any liquids such as battery electrolytes boiling off.   If we had water on board and kept the temperature above 0°C it would start boiling at a pressure of about 6 millibar  (22 miles up).  Luckily we're only going to 20 miles.  smiley

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Noted!  Also bookmarked the 1-Wire discussion since we're using Maxim DS18B20's for interior and exterior temperature sensors.  They only go down to -55°C so the exterior sensor will probably bottom out on the way up (should be about -70°C between 11 and 20 km altitude) but then it should warm up again in the stratosphere.

For low temperatures you might find this site informative - http://www.temperatures.com/sensors/csensors/cryogenic-temp-sensors/ -

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Thank you guys for the explanation of potential connected peripherals and some design requirements. My CEO wants me to obtain a quote on time and cost for this data logger. When you have some time please call me at (707) 571-7610 ext.283

He states he would like an offer from johnwasser and crossroads

-Mark

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Yikes!  I just took a look at temperature sensors that go down to -100°C.  Here's a typical one from BAPI:

http://www.bapihvac.com/products/temperature-sensors/temp-non-room/temp-extreme-temperature/

They look heavy and cost $162.50.  Looks like you'd need two of them since the one model that goes below -100 doesn't go above 0.

I looked at bare Platinum RTDs (Resistance Temperature Detectors) and did not find any that go below -55°C yet.

And of course that's just the raw sensor.  You still have to take a very accurate resistance measurement.  That will require some instrumentation amplifiers, etc.  Sounds like the CEO is making unreasonable demands.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

"He states he would like an offer from johnwasser and crossroads"

Maybe you're are going a little overboard:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1318814/Luke-Geissbuhler-son-send-weather-balloon-100-000ft-space-capture-amazing-video-footage.html
Only need -60C = -76F

John,
Do you want to collaborate on something?
I could do hardware design & building in the evenings (summer is a good time for me for that) if you need something built up, like a wirewrapped promini kind of board, with connectors for the sensors, programmed via FTDI Basic.
Or build up a modified serial arduino (I have 6 bare boards and all the parts, skip the header connectors and solder to the shield holes).
Or PCB version of same if they want to make multiple copies for other experiments or experimenters.
Robert

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I'm a 'mostly software' guy with electronics merely as a hobby.  I'd need to see a much better specification before making any kind of proposal/offer/contract bid. 

For example:
      What is "small and light" in this context?
      Where can one get a temperature sensor rated for -100°C (and the support electronics to make it readable) that is "small and light"?
      Is there a  upper limit to the temperature range that is to be measured?
      Do they want any kind of realtime timestamp in the data log? 

If it weren't for the extreme low temperature temperature sensor it would be easy to slap an adafruit data logging shield on an Arduino UNO and add the pressure and temperature sensors.  That would be about 50 grams.  If I could run it off three AA batteries for the required 5 hours flight time that would add another 75 grams or so.  It's the super low temperature thermometer that doesn't seem to be available.  EVERYTHING that is of reasonably size and weight is limited to -55 or, rarely, -60.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

This one looks ok
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=FT15L-ND
Needs to be ordered, couple week delivery time, $30. -100C to 250C.

From the company catalog, GT13L is for air measuring, also GK13M

http://www.testproductsintl.com/products/tempProbes/productSheets/GT13L.pdf

http://www.testproductsintl.com/products/tempProbes/mechanicalDrawings/GK13M.pdf
same ordering deal & delivery time, $19

View Profile

Great!

If the temp sensor becomes too much of a burden we can go with a pressure sensor only.

Light weight is the key here. We are strapping this data logger a small weather baloon (5 to 10 foot diameter).

Whatever process would be easier for you guys is ideal,

Seems like adding different peripherals to a preexisting arduino board might be faster and cheaper.

Is that correct?

Thank you guys for your time,

-Mark

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I had been looking at Sensors and Transdcers: Temperature, not in Test Probes.

So a thermocouple should be able to measure the desired temperature range but I have not worked with them before so there will be a bit of a learning curve.  The various compensated thermocouple amplifier chips seem to have a low temperature limit in the -40°C range so I can't go the easy way.  I guess what I'd have to do is hook the thermocouple to an op-amp to bring the -4 mV reading (120°C below ambient) up to about 4V.  Since the measurements are relative to the "cold junction" ambient I probably don't need to worry about voltages above 0 so I can just use the op-amp as an inverting amplifier with a gain of 1000.  That will give a resolution of about 3.9 microvolts which is better than 1/10°C resolution at the 'hot' end (0°C) and better than 1/4°C resolution at the 'cold' end (-100°C).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: