Go Down

Topic: Edison - a lot of internet of no-things (Read 307 times) previous topic - next topic

heida

Dec 21, 2014, 03:45 pm Last Edit: Dec 21, 2014, 03:56 pm by heida
Yesterday it finally arrived: a nice looking edison board with the arduino breakout.

After installing the drivers and IDE (1.5.3-intel 1.0.4) I started to test basic sensors on it.

General testing scenario:
  • prove that a sketch and single and sensor works on a arduino micro, uno and yun
  • compile the sketch with the edison ide and connect the sensor on the exact same pins

Missing  libraries are obviously added to the edison ide before compiling.

Here some first findings:

-DHT11 test
Not possible to read from it

-Dallas temperature probe (one-wire on D2)
No possible to read from it. returns always -127

-Tiny RTC (I2C)
Compiler fails on time-related variables.

So far an extremely disappointing experience!

Seems I'll have to put this device aside until intel releases some software updates.

JimboZA

Maybe they should have named it Edsel then.....

Budvar10

Dec 21, 2014, 07:00 pm Last Edit: Dec 21, 2014, 07:01 pm by Budvar10
Blank sheet so you can start to write a history.

evildave_666

Dec 22, 2014, 01:30 am Last Edit: Dec 22, 2014, 01:30 am by evildave_666
From talking to Intel guys at trade shows, the Arduino layer was an afterthought and didn't really receive a lot of work.

KenF

From talking to Intel guys at trade shows, the Arduino layer was an afterthought and didn't really receive a lot of work.
Yet from their own publicity
The Intel Edison module will initially support development with Arduino* and C/C++, followed by Node.JS, Python, RTOS, and Visual Programming support in the near future.
So it sounds like a lemon then?

Paul__B

Hey, do us a favour - if you are going to post a picture, focus it!

A couple of hints: Daylight, taken from no less than a meter and a half so the camera is able to focus, use (real, not "digital") zoom to ensure it fills the picture.  (And resize to no more than 1024 pixels wide - if (but only if) focused, you can see a lot of detail with that.)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy