Poll
Question: Hi. I just want to know if it is possible to output 25 kHz sine wave using arudino Duemilanove? I will use it to drive my ultrasonic sensor. Thanks! smiley-grin
Do I still need to use Digital-to-Analog converter? - 0 (0%)
Is there other options? maybe the simplest way to generate 25 kHz sine wave using arduino? - 1 (100%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: sine wave generator  (Read 4080 times)
Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Look at changing the PWM frequency to 40KHz. This is much better than using a loop. Otherwise you can get a NE555 to generate it for you.
Also 25uS is 25 micro seconds 10 -6 where as the delay function gets a number in milli seconds 10 -3.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Just to clarify a point touched on earlier:

Ultrasound travels through air.
Ultrasound travels through wood.
Ultrasound does NOT like to travel between air and wood (or any solid/liquid)...  There's a *massive* accoustic mismatch leading to extremely inefficient transfer of energy between the different media.  To a good approximation all the ultrasound is reflected by _any_ surface - which is why its very useful for proximity detection.

You need a transducer as used for ultrasound scanning (used with gel to acoustically contact the surface), not one for use in air.  These usually run at much higher frequencies (> 1MHz) for higher spatial resolution.

Also we've only discussed the transmitter side of things, no mention of the receiver which is the more tricky circuit.

[ for the record speed of sound in wood is about 3600 m/s (ten times faster than in air), so for a resolution of 1cm you need around 360kHz, for 1mm 3.6MHz... ]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:37:06 am by MarkT » Logged

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

@markT: yes, that's why I i'm going to use direct contact (no air gap), i am going to use a coupling material.

@grumpyMike : I tried the PWM but I cannot change the frequency. I am new to arduino and the PWM (default peroid is short)

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I tried the PWM but I cannot change the frequency.
Why not?
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/PwmFrequency

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152547089

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: