Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Track my cats' movements  (Read 424 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Forgive me for my ignorance regarding Arduino, I'm just now getting involved.

I have two indoor only cats that I sometimes have to leave home alone while I'm on vacation.  I'd love to be able to log into a website and see where in my apartment they currently are.

The website I can make easily, it is getting the data for their location that I have no clue how to do.  My thought is that if I had a few sensors in the apartment and then something emitting a signal on the cats, I could then "triangulize" their location by looking at the strength of the signal from the different sensors.

And that's all I got.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this or if it is feasible?

Thanks!

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

As far as sensors go... my guess is you could look into RFID tags... although, I think these won't be powerful enough for you to triangulate the cats position. If not, you could at least know where the cats were by which door they went through. although this would kinda transform every room in your house to a shop. LOL

Or, you can use PIR sensors (if you don't have them already for the alarm) and try to hack that signal to be wired into your arduino. This had the problem of identifying which cat is where. Is your house so big that you need to triangulate the position?

Next, getting the data on the internet, you can either choose to have a computer communicate with the arduino via USB/radio and the computer sends the data to the database. Or... buy an Ethernet shield and POST data to a .php script or even use Pachube.

There is a somewhat very different example of a guy that did something similar to log his hamster. But he could only manage to log the hamster wheel turns. Which I completely understand why. LOL

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Don't folks have cameras they monitor over the internet? Mount some of those, connect to PC, stream it out.
Up to you to visually scan for them in their favorite sleeping spots, where they typically spend 22 hours a day in my experience!

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

probably spending their time trying to get into the food cupboard

anyway, cats are smart

they'll hack the system to find out what you are doing while they're home alone

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: