Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 16x2 LCD- AC162BYIL with KS0066U  (Read 2304 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

Before 2 day i had bought this practicular LCD AC162B which is running with KS0066U(its equivelent with HD44780, or i think so) so my problem is really strange, as i connect all wires between the LCD and the arduino  and start the program hello, world!  the lcd is running partially  see photo http://imageshack.us/f/695/img5664mr.jpg/ what could it be wrong?

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Haven't seen this type of problem before. How did you connect your contrast potentiometer?

View Profile

well if ur watching it from the front, the left pin is connected to + and to the lcd pin 2, the middle pin of the pot is to lcd pin 3 and the right pot pin is connected to the GND and to pin 1 and 5 of the lcd

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

well if ur watching it from the front, the left pin is connected to + and to the lcd pin 2, the middle pin of the pot is to lcd pin 3 and the right pot pin is connected to the GND and to pin 1 and 5 of the lcd

Sounds right. If you just power up the LCD without data and control lines to arduino, does it display a nice row of black boxes?

View Profile

hmm if u mean everithing disconnected except the power and the potentiometer then no it doesent

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

hmm if u mean everithing disconnected except the power and the potentiometer then no it doesent

5V, GND, and potentiometer, any line of black boxes?

View Profile

5V, GND, and potentiometer, any line of black boxes?

No... actually yes but they apeared now.... the right half of the lcd have boxes
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:46:04 pm by chelev » Logged

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Then the left half of your lcd might have been damaged (rubber contacts shifted or something). Have you tried the other display you bought?

http://www.fujipoly.com/design-guidelines/89.html

The black sandwiched between white stuff in the picture. Does yours appear shifted or out of its place?

View Profile

well i think the lcd is ok because it sometimes flashes with diferent simbols randomly, and when its working and i pull out the data bus wiresbut then only the right half is working so idk, maybe i should by another one with differnt tipe of driver

PS. The rubber contacts are in place and they arnt shifted

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

For some reason I thought you bought two displays. I think maybe the display IC is damaged, if it flashes random characters sometimes. Maybe get another one from a different seller.

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

There are two ICs (probably epoxy blobs) on the bottom of your board.  The KS0066U blob contains the controller and all of the memory and it also drives the 40 vertical columns (8 characters in 2 rows) on the left side of your display.  The other blob is an auxiliary controller which drives the 40 vertical columns (8 characters in 2 rows) on the right side of the display.   The 'information' is being displayed so the controller and memory are ok but it looks like the auxiliary controller is having a problem.

Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: