Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Recommendation for an accelerometer used as a contact microphone?  (Read 2106 times)
SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Does anyone have a suggestion for an accelerometer to be used as a contact microphone?

Something with an analog output and the ability to sense vibrations up to 4kHz, altho higher would be better. The signal would be captured by an ADC such as an MCP3208.

I assume an op-amp would be required to bump it up to ADC level, but am not sure about that.

Thanks.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Most accelerometers will not work at these sorts of update rates. To sense vibrations up to 4kHz you need to sample at least twice that rate. Typically accelerometers sample at 2KHz or less.

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

That seems about right from my searching.

I'll probably need to use the piezo element directly & amplify the voltage.

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

It looks like I could use something like I attached.

* ACH_01.pdf (175.97 KB - downloaded 29 times.)
* IB_ACH_01_AmplifierBox.pdf (88.53 KB - downloaded 68 times.)

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Well you have not said what the application is so it is hard to tell if that is suitable.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:12:38 pm by Grumpy_Mike » Logged

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

There's lots of applications that I think this would be useful for.

But, for the moment, I wanted to put it on the back of a diaphragm of a stethoscope to listen to chest sounds.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Wouldn't that accelerometer keep the diapragm from moving?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes, it might, but I don't think the diaphragm is even necessary for a vibration sensor.
I think it might be helpful in not allowing vibrations in certain frequency ranges.
But, yes, it technically would not be working in the same way as a normal stethoscope.

If you put your ear up to someone's chest you can hear chest sounds. I don't see why those vibrations won't vibrate a sensor placed on the chest. If there is too much mass on the sensor, then it could be a problem like you say.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I think I'd try something like this instead
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062215
I used to put these in a small box with 9V battery to use a microphone.
Then do any amplification and filtering you want on the acquired sound.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yeah I thought of using a condensor mic too, but I want to keep it flat. And I was hoping I wouldn't have to keep a compartment of air behind the diaphragm, but maybe I will need too like I think you are implying.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

No compartment, I just had these little boxes that held the mic sticking out of a hole on one end, the battery, and a switching jack to connect ground on the othe when cable was plugged in. The mics are not very tall, one of them next a stack of coin cell CR2032 for power and a connector would make a nice little package.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Looking for a battery to see if this one still works!
Will see if if can pick up heartrate and play thru a little guitar amp.
Little cap for blocking DC in there too, looks like 3.3uF

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and pick one of those up today.

Thx.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Success! Had to put a new battery clip in, that 25 year old one was totally corroded.
And the jacks arent making the best of contact, so it has to be held really still to avoid cable scrathy noise.

But, with a 20' guitar cable, Roland Microcube turned all the way up, and the mic pressed to my chest, could hear a little boomp,  boomp, boomp, boomp.
No talking tho, it picked that up too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: