Go Down

Topic: Wixel Shield: Make your Arduino Wireless! (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

bens

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to answer that part of your last post!  Whether it becomes available in the UK is up to our UK distributors.  We don't have a very good way of tracking which products our various distributors stock, but you can check with them directly:

http://www.pololu.com/distributors#uk

Because the Wixel shield is so new, I don't think any of them carry it yet, but they might be willing to start if you contact them and request it.

- Ben

mmcp42

another wixel question...

If I run a UNO at 3 volts (2 AA) am I right in thinking I don't need the step up/down level shifters?
hence I can directly wire from UNO D0/D1 to Wixel TX/RX?

thanks
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

bens

If you are interfacing the Wixel with a part running at the same voltage, you don't need shifters.  However, I was under the impression the minimum recommended operating voltage for the Arduino Uno is 7 V.  Furthermore, according to the datasheet, an ATmega328 running at 16 MHz requires at least 4.5 V to be in spec (you can run it at lower voltages if you keep the clock at 8 MHz or less).  Separately, I think you'd be better off boosting a single AA battery to 3.3 V with a regulator or using two cells with a sepic or buck-boost regulator than powering your circuits directly from two AA cells.

- Ben

mmcp42

the limits they mention apply if you're using the on-board regulator(s)
you can just feed 5 volts regulated directly into Vin

looks like I may be going the higher voltage route after all :)

I want to keep running at 16 MHz, hadn't spotted that part!
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

bens

I have heard of people running their AVRs above 8 MHz while supplying under 4.5 V without noticing any problems, though they are technically out of spec and who knows what sorts of weird bugs could appear at inopportune moments!

- Ben

Go Up