Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic:  Problem: Arduino & LCD with KS0066 / SPLC780  (Read 6781 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I think the problem is, that the LCD I own seems to have an KS0066 controller but it isn't the LCD mentionned in the datasheet. I have to switch the contacts 15 and 16... Also there is a Timing Diagramm printed, but no exactly times mentionned... So what do you think? What do I have to change in the liquidcrystal library to may make it work? (or to exclude a sofware mistake)

greetings kuhni

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Also there is a Timing Diagramm printed, but no exactly times mentionned...
The times are given in the datasheet for the controller, but not always in the datasheet for the module.  If you don't have the specific datasheet for your controller then use the one for the 44780 (http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/HD44780.pdf).

So what do you think? What do I have to change in the liquidcrystal library to may make it work?
Nothing.  You might want to try downloading a new copy of the Arduino IDE which will include a new copy of the library.  We are really grasping at straws here but it's worth a try.   You will probably wind up needing another LCD module, from a different supplier, to pin down the problem.

Don

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hmm... Now tried a new copy of Arduino... Didn't solve the problem, damn! Any other idea, or should I now hav a look on ebay for a new module?  :'(

greetings kuhni

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

hav a look on ebay for a new module?
That might be your problem right there.  I wouldn't choose one of those for my first attempt at using an LCD.  Once you have your connections and code verified it would be ok.

Don

Chennai, India
God Member
Peace!!!
View Profile

Perhaps you should try hard coding it without using the library... it seems to be something with the data / rs lines... did you check continuity on these lines between the controller & the LCD?... i've had similar problems but it was always the connections.....or the way they fit on a breadboard...

Be The Change...

Arduino rocks
View Profile

did you check continuity on these lines between the controller & the LCD?
jap! I did for about a thousand of times! :-)

I now also had a look at the wireing I used to connect it to parallel port of the pc and followed all wires. It is the same connection as in this picture:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/cspplcds/circuit_with_potentiometer.gif

Except:
- R/W (is wired to pin 14 of the parallel port
- +5V of the backround light. It is pin 16 on my lcd board
- GND of the backround light. (pin 15 on my lcd board) This is wired over a transistor ciruit tu pin 17 of the parallel port.

I would try to hard code it without the library, but I'm unable to find timing schemes of the KS0066 or the SPLC780 module in the net.

greetings kuhni
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:38:28 am by 92888488 » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hey
tomorrow, I'll have the chance to buy a new LCD. But I don't know whether it will work with the arduino. The Data- Sheet is: http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/175000-199999/183334-da-01-ml-LCD_Modul_4x16_Zeichen_de_en.pdf

Could you please tell me, wheter i should buy this one?

greetings kuhni

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Why wouldn't it work, it's a run of the mill HD44780 clone?   That's an interesting technique they used to make an 8 page data sheet summary out of a 5 page one.  

Don

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Good day.  
I looked at your pictures and with the nuwe red wires you did not connect the LCD the same way as with the messy wires  EG RS now go to pin 2 and not 12  and and and

IS THIS not your problem???

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: