Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Where do I go with my project?  (Read 552 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've got a project all coded out and I want to move it and put it to use, yet I want to keep my arduino. I know there are cheap alternatives but I don't know what they are. I want to know how to go about transporting my code form the arduino to another micro-controller or something similar so I can have my project work on its own, without the arduino. It's basically 6 LEDs (possibly adding more) two tactile switches and some code, What do I do next? What do I buy?

God Member
View Profile

just get a ATmega328P chip, and use a AVR programmer, you don't even need the crystal if you set the fuses to run it with the internal 8 MHz oscillator.

Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

View Profile

Could you explain a little more? I know what the atmega chip is but you lost me at crystal. If you can't tell I'm a bit of a noob:)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Or get the parts to make a standalone arduino - buy an atemega that has a bootloader on, and these parts from dipmicro: 16 mhzcrystal, two 22 pf Capacitors, three 100nf capacitors, a 10K resistor, a 28 pin socket, and some perfboard to build it up on.
And a 5V wallwart for power.
Program your new chip with your sketch using your arduinio, confirm it works, then plop it into your new board.
Wire it up like so with your parts going go to where I show connectors.

Should end up looking like the little green board here, with connectors as you need for your parts.
This one has I think a 10-pin connector - +5 in (from the PCB on the left), +5v out (to the PCB on the right), ground (from the PCB on the left), serial in (from the PCB on the left) and 3 output lines to each PCB.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:26:54 am by CrossRoads » Logged

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

So if I threw the new ATmega chip into the arduino and uploaded the program onto it, removed it and placed it in the new circuit it will have the program on there?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Yes it will.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Thanks for taking your time to help!  smiley

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

No problem.
Point to point wiring sucks too - other swear by it - I use wirewrap sockets &  header strips, solder them to the board and then connect everything via wirewrap. So much quicker to put together, or to correct mistakes, or to make changes later if needed.

The last of my promini's on a board, next build used a standalone uC like the previous post:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: