Go Down

Topic: Kitty Invisible fence (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

eddiea6987

Hey guys, its funny how i havent really made anything i have just been stocking up on all types of sensors switches , smack loads of resistors and transmitors ,and things of the like...
anywho i use to work at this mansion and they had those invisible fences for their dog , that when they cross the "fence" i think he got a small shock on his collar , at least thats how i think it worked, now i would like to make something like that for me kitty on a much smaller scale , which is my room.
at first  i was thinking laser trip wires but that will just tell me when  he crosses it and i wont know if he crossed and came back in or crossed and left , you know..
i was thinking something that would keep buzzing untill he was back in the controlled area.
So then  i was thinking gps but dues to the small area i doubt that it will be accurate enought to detect a couple of feet/inches of movement .
so now i think maybe a not so invisible fence i can use actual wires around my room but still not sure what type of sensor or how to go about this.. i can mount something on his collar to keep  track if he is in my room or not ...but what could it be?  any ideas?
I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

Korman

This kind of project isn't very well suited for the Arduino, because the success of the project lies in having a small, light, unobstructive  collar for the animal. If you want to attach and Arduino to your cat, better attach a brick - that's just as effective and a lot more appealing.

The system probably works with very short range transmitters (perhaps some wire buried)  and the pet has a receiver around its neck. When the receiver receives the signal, it buzzes the animal.

Korman

eddiea6987

So very true , i was just thinking of the transmitter on the cat, but my kitty sporting an Arduino would be a first in the Arduino community. Anywho thanks for the insight

Grumpy_Mike

How about having an RFID tag in the collar and a reader by the door. You could put a coil under the carpet to cover the whole of the area.

eddiea6987

yes that crossed my mind as well , i just dont know what to do with my rfid reader its either going to be this or use it to turn on my computer so that only I may get access , unless anyone in my family knows how to rewire it which  i bet my life they dont

Go Up