Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduion Remote Webcam Station  (Read 1872 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My project is to build a remote webcam and sensor (temp,humidity, ect) station. It will use  a GRMS walkie-talkie modem (ardunio) to transmit data to the base station which is a another ardunio with a radio.
I want it to send a picture over the air every half hour.
The modem works by sending the hex values of a document over the air.
So far i have finished the modem but right now you need to convert the document in to hex on your computer then upload the hex to the ardunio for it to be transmited. Can the ardunio store a image taken from a camera then covert the binary in to hex and send it to my base station?

Central Europe
Edison Member
Use the Source, Luke.
View Profile

Can the ardunio store a image taken from a camera then covert the binary in to hex and send it to my base station?

No, not enough RAM for that. If the camera can freeze a frame so that you can read and process the image piecewise, you might have a chance. But buffering a whole image is out of the scope of an Arduino.

Also, the protocol you write about seems to be very simplistic and unsuitable for the task. As if someone tried to reinvent the wheel without bothering to read up on what worked before.

Korman

Sofia, Bulgaria
View Profile

What is the expected resolution/size of the image? You can try to use SD card or EEPROM memory for buffering the data. Also what type of web cam you are going to use? There are some IP cameras witch have simple DVRs build-in. They have inputs (for alarm sensors) witch can be used for storing images. After that with one Ethernet shield you can read those images from the camera trough the network interface and send them on portions trought the modem

View Profile

As small as possbile for a camera resolution mabey 128 by 100? It will only send 1 picture every 30 minutes It can be done i need to know how to store and then convert a file to send  smiley-sweat

( if i could get the image to read byte by byte converting it in to a hex value from a SD card and then send it, it would work)

View Profile

The protocol is for the modem is not the best but is sufciant to do tasks My next verson will have addresses for different devicses and a simple hash.
the configuration is meant for religiosity with radio distortion not speed normal modems use base 64 to send data mine uses base 16 due to the low audio quality of radio. smiley

Central Europe
Edison Member
Use the Source, Luke.
View Profile

As small as possbile for a camera resolution mabey 128 by 100? It will only send 1 picture every 30 minutes It can be done i need to know how to store and then convert a file to send  smiley-sweat

Lets assume for simplicity you have 1 byte per pixel. 128x100 = 12800 bytes = 12kB. Your Arduino has 2kB of RAM some are used for stack or other variables and 0.5kB of EEPROM. No way. Not every 30 minutes, not even once.

( if i could get the image to read byte by byte converting it in to a hex value from a SD card and then send it, it would work)

This could work, but you really should ask yourself if the Arduino is the right tool to use for your application and whether you'd not be better of to take a platform with more RAM and processing power. It's a bit like trying to use a children's tricicle to haul 17 tons of bricks. It might work with enough effort, but it's easier, faster and cheaper to just get a truck in the first place.

Korman

Arduino rocks
View Profile

how far does grms go?

View Profile

I said i needed a SD card for storage.
the ardunio would need to see the image files on the SD card as binary dumps of the camera, then read off each byte like a array and convert it in to hex and send it thro the transmitter.

Yes I realize i should have bought a couple Netdunios insted

Im just not proficient in getng the Ardunio to work with storage systems like SD cards and cameras

"It can be done we have the technology" -The Six Million Dollar Man
rofl

View Profile

I have seen GRMS radios with ranges up to 10 kilometres advertised but, it would be more like 7 kilometres

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: