Go Down

Topic: How to use arduino uno with the computer? (Read 726 times) previous topic - next topic

Darion321

I just bought an UNO. I dont have a bread board or any components just a UNO. There's not much i can do with just that. I want to know if i can use it with computer application like make it into a keylogger or something like a facebook notification app. I know i can do this with just programming but will it be possible to this kind of stuff with an Arduino?

eddiea6987

Yes you can use it with your computer, i would also look into Processing for that
http://processing.org/

but the Arduino is more for interfacing Software with the real world , so lets say you make an application that notifies your arduino when you have a message or comment etc.. with nothing connected to it, not even an LED then its really pointless if you ask me, if all its doing is telling you something that you HAVE to be at your computer to see and since your there  then why not just open up a browser page and log into your facebook.
I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

Grumpy_Mike

Without and hardware the arduuino is just a low powered computer that you can communicate with using the serial monitor. So if you want to run any of those 70s style text based programs then you can. However there is not much point.
Get some LEDs (and resistors) and start them flashing.

Darion321

Jun 30, 2011, 09:29 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2011, 09:34 pm by Darion321 Reason: 1
Yea thats what i plan to do when i get some money. But for right now all i got is the arduino. And until i get a bread board and some stuff i cant do much. My first app will be just to make the onboard led blink when i have a new email or facebook notification. I might bike to the nearest radio shack but only have about 6 bucks. What should i get?

CrossRoads

Go to www.dipmicro.com, for $4 and $2 in shipping you can get a bunch of resisters, LEDs, other stuff.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up