Go Down

Topic: Standard Hardware file format (Read 893 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a set of Gerber (GBX files) for Arduino hardware.
Gerber: the standard used by manufacturers, and viewable on many applications.

I can only find BRD (Eagle) files.
What is eagle ?, and BRD files.

Please use Gerber files, and stop using specialty file formats created in a non-standard design application,
That most designers dont use.

BRD files are useless.

RuggedCircuits

I don't know: you can always generate Gerber files from the Eagle BRD files using the freeware version of Eagle. You can't go the other way. BRD files are definitely not useless.

Eagle can be downloaded for free from http://cadsoft.de.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

Jul 13, 2011, 05:44 am Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 08:28 pm by evanrich Reason: 1

Please use Gerber files, and stop using specialty file formats created in a non-standard design application,
That most designers dont use.

BRD files are useless.

!!! TROLL ALERT !!!

Dude are you serious?  Go troll somewhere else.  Eagle is not useless, many designers use it, Newark.com recommends/sells it, and it is an excellent tool.  Instead of complaining about the BRDs that are supplied to help people see the layouts, why don't you learn how to make the gerbers from eagle brd files?  it takes 2 seconds...literally.
My first major project (looking for people who would like to help contribute) Bluetooth Sure 32x16 LED Displays!: https://github.com/evanric

westfw

gerbers are not a design format; they are a manufacturing and distribution format, somewhat similar to a .exe file for a PC.
The EAGLE files are similar to source code, MUCH more useful, but less standard.
Asking for gerbers instead of EAGLE files is very much like complaining that you'd rather have an executable than a set of fortran sources, because you don't have or can't use a fortran compiler (which IS a valid complaint, after all.)

It would take at least 5 gerber files to be useful for manufacturing an arduino PCB, and they would still contain much less information that is in the .BRD file (for example, it's next to impossible to make any significant edits to a set of gerber files.)

Go Up