Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Freetronics Eleven vs Genuine Arduino  (Read 4068 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I would love to get started in Arduino but unfortunately the only way I can get them to where I live (Sydney) is in the mail. I have seen that the local JayCar stocks Freetronics Eleven and I was wondering if you guys like these boards. I don't normally like buying something that tries to be like something else, and says it is better without stating why.

Also if you guys know anywhere in Sydney you can buy Arduino boards I would be very greatful

Thank you

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I have a Freetronics 2010 and it's just fine. Never done anything it shouldn't and always done what it should smiley

Most of the Arduino boards around are clones, I wouldn't worry about it especially from a well-known supplier (which Freetronics are).
______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

That looks like a great board, I would have started arduino-ing with a twenty-ten if it had been available in the US at the time.
Drop some wirewrap sockets in the holes, add a couple shift registers or something, be good to go!
You will not go wrong with that board. Its all the same components, layed out a little differently, with better (IMO) frequency source, and the mini usb connector in place of the big blocky square one that is not is use on many components anymore.

It took me a little while but eventually I just made my own designs using a duemilanove to program blank '328 chips and drop them in my circuit.
You can see the '328, crystal, 22 pf caps, and power supply 100nF caps in the lower left corner.
This application does not need USB serial  (does use UART's TTL serial to transmit to another built up card tho), power is from external 5V supply.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Sweden
Arduino System Go!
View Profile

Hi,
I have no experience with the Freetronics Eleven, but I have tried other clones (Seeeduino and Freeduino) without problems. I would even hold the Seeeduino to be slightly better than the original.

If it says 100% compatible you can probably expect it to be.

Good luck!

Switzerland
View Profile

That Freetronics board looks rather good.  Does anybody know if they're available in Europe?

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

I haven't tried Freetronics yet, although I've been tempted by Etherten and I have the same problem as you. I can only get it in the mail. smiley-wink

As for your question...
I don't normally like buying something that tries to be like something else, and says it is better without stating why.

I got this from the website:
As well as the standard Arduino Uno features found here, the Eleven has the following improvements and updates:

Prototyping area
For those projects where you don't need the extra size or expense of a shield, the Eleven has its own standard prototyping area taking up a quarter of the board. Great for quick sensor and IC projects. There's extra power pads underneath for neat connections.

LEDs visible on the edge
Wondered what your Arduino was doing? We've carefully placed a nice blue Power LED, plus colour coded RX, TX and D13 LEDs on the right edge of the board so you can see what's going on.

Dual crystals
We've provided proper crystals for both the primary MCU and the communications MCU, rather than using a ceramic resonator.

Mini-USB Connector
No more short circuits of the large USB connector against your shields. Our standard Mini-USB connector is firmly mounted and we've included a cable too.

Overlay guide where you need it
When you're soldering your project, it's good to know what you're connecting to! All of our boards and shields have a thorough pinout and guide printed on the bottom as well as the top, so when you're soldering underneath there's no need to flip the board over constantly.

Top spec MCU
Every Eleven has the higher specification ATmega328P Microcontroller.

D13 pin works for everything
The digital I/O pin 13 functionality has been fixed, the D13 indicator LED no longer loads up this pin when you use it as an input.

Mounting holes and power jack
We've included a fourth mounting hole in the bottom left, there's no more wobbly board troubles if you're fitting it to a case.
Helpful markings for the Power Jack size, polarity and voltage are right there on the board when you need them. Auto-power switching and self-resetting fuse protection are standard.
It's all in the same place
The power jack, headers and ICSP are all in exactly the same location as Arduino standard boards. The Eleven is perfectly compatible with all Arduino shields, projects and sketches.

I agree with all this except the point where the Arduino doesn't use the ATmega328p.

Satisfied?

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Arduino rocks
View Profile

That Freetronics board looks rather good.  Does anybody know if they're available in Europe?

lipoly.de stocks the www.freetronics.com products (Eleven, EtherTen, etc)
http://www.lipoly.de/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=880_2651

Cheers,
Marc

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Thanks Marc for the link!

The P&P is even cheaper than some shops in the Netherlands  ....

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Also if you guys know anywhere in Sydney you can buy Arduino boards I would be very greatful

Try Littlebird Electronics:  http://littlebirdelectronics.com/collections/arduino

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: