Go Down

Topic: JArduino (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

Hopefully this project will encourage people without much electronics knowlegde to start using Arduino.

Not to be picky, but doesn't your project seemed aimed to help people on the software side rather then on the electronics side of using a arduino? The electronic side would focus on issues like how to power your projects, the why and when for pull-ups and pull-downs, current limiting on digital output pins, when and how to do that. Getting started with an arduino does have two very separate hurdles for newcomers, learning the software and learning basic electronics principals and practices, and I don't often see very much overlap opportunities between these two subjects.

So does your project cover any electronics topics as related to an Arduino?

Lefty

dosjos

Hi retrolefty

As you say there is two sides to this, the programming and the electronics part, and these two things are quite different indeed.
Like you state, our project does i deed aim at the software side of the Arduino platform. But as a teacher assisten in a Arduino (Design) course at the University of Oslo I have experienced first hand that the programming often was the main challenge to get things to work.

These were design student with little or non programing experience, and to tell them that the Arduino was programmed in C++, and not in Java as some of them knew, was quite a dealbreaker (even though the difference is barely noticable). So, allowing them to program in Java was a great advantage. Remember that the Arduino board is made for
artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.
and not nessecary for codemonkeys.

Also, when one can understand the code and get the code to work, there is so much easyer to start to understand what the electric components do and to get a interest in the electronics part. So by making the programming easier we hope that people will jump over to the electronics part of the Arduino world as well.

To marius.
In deed plug and play, atleast after you have uploaded the comunication scetch.
We also see a lot of possibilities for this kind of Arduino integration. Check out the sample archieve for some ideas.

Cheers
The JArduino Team
Jan Ole

bubulindo

But as a teacher assisten in a Arduino (Design) course at the University of Oslo I have experienced first hand that the programming often was the main challenge to get things to work.

These were design student with little or non programing experience, and to tell them that the Arduino was programmed in C++, and not in Java as some of them knew, was quite a dealbreaker (even though the difference is barely noticable). So, allowing them to program in Java was a great advantage. Remember that the Arduino board is made for
artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.
and not nessecary for codemonkeys.

Things have sure changed in Universities... isn't the point of going to University to learn how to make such things as the Arduino instead of using it? Why would an artist know Java? And wouldn't he see that it is pretty much the same thing as C++, especially in such a low power device as the Arduino?
Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

dosjos

Things have sure changed in Universities... isn't the point of going to University to learn how to make such things as the Arduino instead of using it? Why would an artist know Java? And wouldn't he see that it is pretty much the same thing as C++, especially in such a low power device as the Arduino?

Some people learn how to make art instalations, and they need to learn to use the Arduino, not to make it.
Different people have different needs you know.

Some artist know Java because they use it to program their art, not all artists paint you know.

They defenetly saw that C++ was quite the same as Java, and if we didn't tell them, they wouldn't notice for a while.

But by using JArduino you can't for example map to a non existing pin, or write unlegal values to the port. And this is something that helps non-experienced programmers a gread deal.

Cheers
The Jarduino Tema
Jan Ole

Go Up