Go Down

Topic: Faster Analog Read? (Read 61 times) previous topic - next topic

jmknapp

Apr 21, 2008, 09:27 pm Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008, 09:30 pm by jmknapp Reason: 1

I don't know how much the accuracy drops if you exceed the recommended rates in the datasheet, but I would think it would not be good practice to add functionality to the standard Arduino platform that clocked the ADC faster then the manufactures recommendation. And if my math is correct, at 16mhz, a prescale of 64 or less will exceed the 200khz max ADC clock rate stated in the datasheet.

Still, the Atmel document referred to above (http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/DOC2559.PDF) says:

The ADC accuracy also depends on the ADC clock. The recommended maximum ADC clock frequency is limited by the internal DAC in the conversion circuitry. For optimum performance, the ADC clock should not exceed 200 kHz. However, frequencies up to 1 MHz do not reduce the ADC resolution significantly. Operating the ADC with frequencies greater than 1 MHz is not characterized.

When using single-ended mode, the ADC bandwidth is limited by the ADC clock speed. Since one conversion takes 13 ADC clock cycles, a maximum ADC clock of 1 MHz means approximately 77k samples per second. This limits the bandwidth in single-ended mode to 38.5 kHz, according to the Nyquist sampling theorem.

To me, that's as good as a green light, direct from the manufacturer, to go to 1 MHz and a 77k sample rate--with no significant effect on resolution.

mem

I wonder if the use of the term resolution rather than accuracy is significant.  That note discusses calibrating an ADC, it is not clear what errors an uncalibrated ADC will have if used outside the recommended clock speeds. It could well be no problem in doing so, but I would not take that app note as a green light to exceed the specs in the datasheet without some real world testing.

jmknapp

I wonder if the use of the term resolution rather than accuracy is significant.  That note discusses calibrating an ADC, it is not clear what errors an uncalibrated ADC will have if used outside the recommended clock speeds.

But the note says that calibration applies only to differential ADC mode:

For most applications, the ADC needs no calibration when using single ended conversion. The typical accuracy is 1-2 LSB, and it is often neither necessary nor practical to calibrate for better accuracies.

However, when using differential conversion the situation changes, especially with high gain settings.

I believe the note uses accuracy/resolution interchangeably:

The AVR uses the test fixture's high accuracy DAC (e.g. 16-bit resolution) to generate input voltages to the calibration algorithm.

mattgilbertnet

There are standalone ADC chips which are a lot faster, but I have no experience with them.

Does anyone have experience with ADC chips?

Also, would using a multiplexer speed up analog reads?

DeFex

Mar 19, 2010, 09:07 pm Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 04:13 am by DeFex Reason: 1
I have used the MUX shield to read 16 analog pots, one every 16th cycle of the main loop (which also counts through the MUX output), previously I had used separate analog inputs, each also on a main loop based counter.

Only taking one reading per main loop cycle made a huge difference, and this ought to help it even more.

edit:
Ok i got home and tried it, My ISR which generates sound uses about 40% of the processing time, and I have a lot of stuff going on in my main loop and there i one analogread per loop(different pots through MUX)

test bit was cycling at:
460hz
changed 3 analogwrites to OCRxx and some digitalwrites to direct bitwrite to the ports., the speed improved to
480hz
then i did this tweak and the speed improved to
530hz
so even with all the other things happening in my loop
(quite a lot, including a lot of "map" and other multiplication and division) thats quite a nice improvement!

edit:
oh yes i do not notice any difference in the accuracy of the potentiometers as far as i can tell i cant hear any wavering of the controls when set the filter frequency or whatever.

Go Up