Go Down

Topic: any way to get this sign panel to work with an arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Feb 27, 2011, 07:19 pm Last Edit: Feb 27, 2011, 08:08 pm by Devicemodder Reason: 1
I have an led sign that was made by pollard manufacturing and is a 7x16 dot matrix. I would like to
Run it with an arduino and use the 5821 led drivers and tip107 row transistors
The dots are led clusters of three and run on 9v for a cluster any help with code to drive them and display text would be appreciated
the chips are 26ls36 74ls157 and 5821

You need a schematic to see how to wire the arduino up to it. Have you got one?

No I don't have a schematic the sign was surplus
Sorry for the long reply been busy with school

If it were my sign, I would start by seeing if I could find the manufacturer, or who the manufacturer is -today- and getting in contact with them about the board. A nicely worded email might open up some information. I would also post all the information you could about the sign, including clear front and back pictures - to the Electro-Tech forums (http://www.electro-tech-online.com/datasheets-manuals-parts/); you might find someone who was an old employee who built the sign, or maybe has some docs they could send to you. If neither of those options worked out, I would then take on the task of reverse-engineering the schematic from the PCB; likely it isn't too difficult - much of the schematic would be duplication (likely for a set of columns). I am willing to bet the device is serial-driven in some fashion - once you had the schematic laid out, it would likely be fairly easy to figure out how to interface with it.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Thanks I dont think the company is around any more but I am going to try reverse engineering the sign

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131