Go Down

Topic: any way to get this sign panel to work with an arduino (Read 958 times) previous topic - next topic

Devicemodder

Feb 27, 2011, 07:19 pm Last Edit: Feb 27, 2011, 08:08 pm by Devicemodder Reason: 1
I have an led sign that was made by pollard manufacturing and is a 7x16 dot matrix. I would like to
Run it with an arduino and use the 5821 led drivers and tip107 row transistors
The dots are led clusters of three and run on 9v for a cluster any help with code to drive them and display text would be appreciated
the chips are 26ls36 74ls157 and 5821

Grumpy_Mike

You need a schematic to see how to wire the arduino up to it. Have you got one?

Devicemodder

No I don't have a schematic the sign was surplus
Sorry for the long reply been busy with school

cr0sh

If it were my sign, I would start by seeing if I could find the manufacturer, or who the manufacturer is -today- and getting in contact with them about the board. A nicely worded email might open up some information. I would also post all the information you could about the sign, including clear front and back pictures - to the Electro-Tech forums (http://www.electro-tech-online.com/datasheets-manuals-parts/); you might find someone who was an old employee who built the sign, or maybe has some docs they could send to you. If neither of those options worked out, I would then take on the task of reverse-engineering the schematic from the PCB; likely it isn't too difficult - much of the schematic would be duplication (likely for a set of columns). I am willing to bet the device is serial-driven in some fashion - once you had the schematic laid out, it would likely be fairly easy to figure out how to interface with it.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Devicemodder

Thanks I dont think the company is around any more but I am going to try reverse engineering the sign

Go Up