I have just finished my latest project, the biggest I've done so far and now i want to share (brag about).
So... I am talking about my own delta robot. For those who don't know what a delta is, i will briefly explain:
it's a parallel robot (because the lower arms use parallelograms to maintain the lower platform parallel to the
upper platform) very fast, very precise (the concept is, mine is not that good) and a bit complicated
(mathematically speaking) at first site.
I have so many things to say about this project, it took me 7 months to complete (working from time to time).
Components (i have attached a picture with the (almost) final rig).
- 3 black arms for support - made of wood, painted
- an upper platform (the light-brown thing from the top) - made of wood
- 3 standard servos (towerPro 946r) places on their sides (pivot point facing exterior) mounted 120 degrees apart.
- upper arms - made of plexiglas - connected to servo throw a plastic arm with 2 connection points (one on the
servo pivot point and another 2.5 cm appart)
- in the exterior point of the upper arm i have 2 spacers (2 pieces of carbon-fiber tube) connected to articulated
joints (2 pieces). One parallelogram (out of 3) is formed with 2 spacers, 4 articulated joints (2 up, 2 down),
2 carbon-fiber tubes and, in the lower part, where the joints meet the lower platform, there is another "spacer".
All of this is called lower arm.
- the lower platform - made of plexiglas. It's an equilateral triangle with some other pieces of plexiglas glued, for
forming a mounting point for the lower arms.
- in the bottom part we have a working area (the light-brown thing from the top), connected to the support arms
with a diameter of 40cm, made of wood
- the controller: made of plexiglas, it consists of an 20x4 serial lcd, an Arduino Mega2560, and a pcb that contains
an infrared receiver, 2 rgb leds and a button.
The robot has 2 main states:
- a manual state: this state allows for independent increments of the xyz coordinates.Delta Robot - Manual mode
- a path following state: this state allows the robot to follow a predefined path.
I have selected just a few paths and a few different modes of operation. Delta Robot drawing - geometrical primitivesDrawing Fii logo (the logo of my faculty - UAIC Infoiasi )Drawing Fii logo - top view (the logo of my faculty - UAIC Infoiasi )Drawing circles - top view
I can talk about this project for days, so if anyone has a question I will more than happy to answer.
Sorry for the long post and the english screw-ups.