Go Down

Topic: Upload without recompiling (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

smeezekitty

Jul 04, 2011, 08:29 am Last Edit: Jul 04, 2011, 09:54 am by smeezekitty Reason: 1
I know it would seem fairly useless at first thought to have the IDE upload without recompiling but, there are various legitimate reasons especially since compiling is quite slow. Here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons I can think of:
Code: [Select]

* Uploading the exact "sketch" to multiple Arduinos
* Re-uploading if the Arduino looses the "sketch" somehow
* If you do low level compiler twiddling on the command line and you do not want to fool with AVRDUDE directly
* Debugging upload trouble without waiting for full compilation each time
* You accidentally hit the "Verify" button and you don't want to wait again  :smiley-mr-green:
* It would also allow more rapid switching between two "sketches" if they are already compatable

That said, I would think a(n) "Upload without compilation" should be added, even on the menu bar.

-edit: fixed title
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

mmcp42

I agree
I have more sketches than Arduinos
often just want to (re)load another sketch

Also
I often, while developing, "compile" (verify) while making changes
once I'm happy I just want to upload, not compile again

so - gets my vote too!
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

PaulS

Hold down the shift key when you press Upload sometime. You'll see that a temporary directory is used to hold the object files and hex files that are involved in the compilation process. Those files are deleted when the upload completes.

* Uploading the exact "sketch" to multiple Arduinos

Legitimate reason...

* Re-uploading if the Arduino looses the "sketch" somehow

If this happens, you need a new Arduino. The Arduino doesn't just randomly loose sketches.

* If you do low level compiler twiddling on the command line and you do not want to fool with AVRDUDE directly

Well, now, how are you going to do the first part without doing the second part? If you are comfortable doing the first part, you should be able to do the second part.

* Debugging upload trouble without waiting for full compilation each time

Either the Arduino is plugged in or it isn't. Either it is connected to the specified port or it isn't. How much troubleshooting does it take? If it takes much, use a smaller sketch with no libraries.

* You accidentally hit the "Verify" button and you don't want to wait again

Yeah, OK. Been there, done that.

* It would also allow more rapid switching between two "sketches" if they are already compatable

What does compatable mean? Every sketch is different.

robtillaart

That said, I would think a(n) "Upload without compilation" should be added, even on the menu bar.

Google the AVRdude command, it can do just that. hold the shift key when uploading to see the details of the command.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

smeezekitty

Let me clarify. The GCC port to windows is SLOW. Compiling blink takes 60 seconds and bigger sketches longer. No there is nothing wrong with the computer. It has dual core and 2GB ram. MingW gcc is very slow as well. No excessive CPU consumption, just slow. Adding a upload button with would trivial by not deleting the hex file and running the avrdude command. It could be hidden on the pull down menu.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Go Up