Go Down

Topic: 30 I/O needed for a project. Mega the way to go? (Read 999 times) previous topic - next topic

0miker0

I am at the final stage of a prototype that needs 30 I/O pins in total. So far I have the project prototyped using a Mega 1280 but I am looking for a more permanent, less expensive option. Sort of like a pro mini board that has no USB circuitry, just a board that has a mega1280, crystal, FTDI connectors and solder pins for each I/O.

Not sure if something like this exists so I would check with everyone here.

Thanks,
Mike

Si

What are you using the pins for?

You may be better to use an Uno and shift register / LED driver chip.

Also if they are input switches, there are ways of combining these with resistors and just using one Analog input, or having a key matrix.
--
I write books about Arduino and Electronics: http://simonmonk.org

0miker0

The project is a 50 pin cable tester. Right now I have 7 74HC164 shift registers and 7 74HC151 multiplexers. One I/O is used fore the switch, 6 for the lcd and 20 to control the logic chips.

Is there anything in between the UNO and the Mega for digital I/O? Possibly a clone or something? It would be a shame to have to use a Mega 1280 for the project. One possibility is to grab a blank Mega 1280 board and just solder on the Mega and crystal.

floresta

If all you need is more I/O then you should look into using an I/O expander such as the MCP23017 or MCP23S17.  Each one gives you 16 I/O pins.  If you want something already built up on a shield then look into the 'Centipede Shield'.

Don

PaulS

Sort of like a pro mini board that has no USB circuitry, just a board that has a mega1280, crystal, FTDI connectors and solder pins for each I/O.

If there is no USB circuitry, what do you need the "FTDI connectors" for? The FTDI chip is what provides the USB to serial capability.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy