Go Down

Topic: Is an TFT Shield also required (Read 77 times) previous topic - next topic

Dirka

Hello there peeps

I've just purchased this 5" LCD on Ebay and will be eagerly awaiting it's arrival.
It just occurred to me that I have no idea how to initialize this display and whether or not a LCD shield would be needed.

So my main question is, will I be able to plug this display directly into my Arduino Mega 2560 and then be ale to use this display or will I require another shield to be able to make the display work?

Lastly if someone could point me in the right direction as to which library would work the best with this display then I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you everyone and wishing you a wonderful day ahead.

regards
Dirk

Nick_Pyner

Mar 16, 2015, 01:07 am Last Edit: Mar 16, 2015, 01:10 am by Nick_Pyner
It just occurred to me that I have no idea how to initialize this display and whether or not a LCD shield would be needed.
That is probably something that occurs more comfortably before you buy it than  after
So my main question is, will I be able to plug this display directly into my Arduino Mega 2560 and then be ale to use this display
The ad clearly says a standard 40 pin socket is used - no welding required. You won't find that on the Mega

or will I require another shield to be able to make the display work?
Very likely and the shield I have does have a 40 pin socket. It came from Cold Tears. I didn't know it was a standard but it is probably what they are talking about. It might be better to get a shield from the supplier of the display.

Lastly if someone could point me in the right direction as to which library would work the best with this
The SSD1963 is listed as a controller by Henning Karlsen, so his UTFT library can probably be used with it. Again this is the sort of thing that is best coming with the display i.e. as a package - display, shield, software. Even then, you can have grief.

Dirka

Hello Nick

Thanks for the feedback, I totally missed the specifications at the bottom of the add. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Thank you also for the other pointers, I hope that this display won't give me too much grief and that I will be able to make it work. Thanks again.

Nick_Pyner

Even though I think you have been a bit reckless, you should be OK!

UTFT will probably work for you and would have to be the best-documented library ever written.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy