Go Down

Topic: 1-Wire Slave (Read 43926 times) previous topic - next topic

Adam84

Hi guys,
Can anyone give any guidance on using this library to make an Uno a 1-wire slave. I can get the "DS18B20_Slave_Interrupt_universal_analogread_fulllib.ino" example sketch to compile and upload fine by changing the  dsslavepin (does this number refer to the actual pin or the interrupt no.?) I have another arduino with another DS18B20 and using the wire library example to get the addresses of the devices on the bus i only find the actual DS18B20. Has anyone had it working on an Uno and knows where i'm going wrong?   

wongsm7

Hi Markus,

Does your library work with Arduino Uno?

Youen

Aug 09, 2015, 10:44 am Last Edit: Aug 09, 2015, 10:46 am by Youen
I just released my library to make an Arduino board act as a 1-wire slave. You can download it here: https://github.com/neuoy/OneWireArduinoSlave

It's implemented using interrupts (everything is asynchronous, user code is notified by callbacks when bytes are received, etc.)

I've only tested it with an Arduino Uno and a DS9490R master (connected by USB to a laptop that acts as my home automation server). Works flawlessly so far in this setup, but let me know if you find bugs or can test it with other hardware setups (wether it works or not, I'm interested to know in both cases).

I was surprised how developing this kind of library is tricky, timings are sometimes as short as 3 microseconds or the master can miss bits, so debugging through Serial is not really an option, I acquired an USB oscilloscope for the occasion (very interesting project though).

/dev

Very nice!  It's great to see a real C++ design and clean implementation that's easy-to-read.  I've been helping someone over here, and had recently come to the conclusion that interrupts will have to be used for the exact reasons you state: 3us events.

As you said, this is definitely something that requires a 'scope or Logic Analyzer.  The nice thing about the 'scope is that you can distinguish between active highs, input mode and multiple devices driving low.  The user I am trying to help doesn't have either, and isn't very advanced in Arduino nor embedded techniques.  It has been slow going.

While I've been reluctant to dive in and implement this, I have started on something.  After looking at the timings and existing implementations, I was just starting to look at External Interrupts, Pin Change Interrupts and even the Input Capture.  So thanks a million for this very "timely" post.  ;)

Were you thinking about extending this to other types/numbers of 1-wire devices, or are you at the "good enough for me" stage?

BTW, have you seen Cosa?  There are a few stylistic similarities, and I mean that as a compliment.

Cheers,
/dev

Youen

Nice to see it can be useful to others :-)

Right now, it is indeed in a "good enough for me" stage. The goal was to provide a low level implementation only, because high level considerations (emulating specific devices such as temperature sensors or whatever) have a much larger scope, beyond what I can provide and support as a hobby, and also these are (somewhat) less difficult problems to solve. But it's open source, so anyone can expand on it. Also, that doesn't mean I won't try to fix the bugs that are reported, if any :-)

I didn't heard of Cosa, but it seems interesting, I'll take a look, thanks.

About timing issues, I also tried with an active wait, and it was just a little bit slower, but I think it can work too. However, you really have to use 100% of the CPU to do just that, poll the pin state in a loop, and pull low as soon as you detect the edge (so you need to know if you're going to pull low before starting the loop, to avoid too many instructions in between). So in my experience, interrupts are indeed more adequate to the task (a bit faster, and also less risk to miss an edge since the edge detection is hardware). Not sure how all these things will work (or not) on other boards though.

milimilo

Hello Youen

Thank you very much for your lib.

My project is this one, and of course doesn't work:
I have an home automation zwave device that can read DS18B20 1Wire sensors. I would like to use my Arduino UNO to send some value through this zwave module.

May you give me a simple example of code that sends a value when pressing a simple button?

I'm blocked trying to give your library a value to send (using your demo .ino ...).

Sorry for my completely noob question (i am really new to Arduino and totally off the computing universe) and thank you very much for your help!

ColinR

The example does not seem to compile for ATTiny85:

In file included from ATTiny1WireSlave.ino:2:0:
E:\Docs\code\avr\arduino projects\libraries\OneWireArduinoSlave/LowLevel.h: In member function 'void Pin::attachInterrupt(void (*)(), int)':
E:\Docs\code\avr\arduino projects\libraries\OneWireArduinoSlave/LowLevel.h:113:3: error: 'EIFR' was not declared in this scope
   EIFR |= (1 << INTF0); // clear any pending interrupt (we want to call the handler only for interrupts happending after it is attached)
   ^

Go Up