Go Down

Topic: Automating Train Movement (Read 557 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

In my second example, there are only 4 short paths.

Blocks per short path, ordered from source to destination
0, 2, 3
3, 5, 6
7, 5, 4
4, 2, 1
I'm a little confused by this because none of them seems to be the inverse of the other - eg how do you get from 3 to 0 ?

In any case, let's assume that physically 0, 5, 3 is also an option - but 2nd preference because 5 is normally used for the other direction of travel.
Then I would add that group as another path to be considered if the first path 0,2,3 fails. (these numbers are just for illustration - please substitute sensible ones)

...R

bhuck

Those paths apply to my second example.

The second example is taken from the middle of a larger layout.  It only has eastbound and westbound sidings, and no return loops.

rgmccau

I'm also building a layout using Arduino to control Turnouts, Control Panel, Signals but NOT the actual trains (which are DCC). It's still a work in progress (and I keep finding something "just a bit different" to change - and then on top of that, there's the "improvements" that can be made to the layout....) but certainly the overall concept seems to be looking good.

The concept & layout so far has....
- 36 control "blocks" - no direct DCC control, but the ability to "turn off" power if a train passes a signal at Red/Stop
- including double track and single (bi-directional) track areas - from a programming perspective one block per direction.
- holding loops and sidings
- hidden sidings (fiddle yard)
- Modern Australian practice, which can mean signals with 5 or 6 lights (LEDs....in HO...scratch built)
- Control Panel with indicators and switches for signals, track and turnouts
- Separate train detection (NOT track/DCC based) currently using reed switches and magnets (cost), but intended to be flexible enough to be changed seamlessly to any other type of detector system.
- I2C communications between multiple Arduinos to handle the sheer number of inputs/outpus - I've currently got 2 Megas and 1 Uno all handling different things, with one of the Megas the Master Controller.
- 20+ turnouts....EVENTUALLY controlled by Servo motors via Arduino........eventually.....

Basically everything except actual loco control is through the Arduinos, including directly powering the Signals/LEDs.

Happy to discuss more if anyone's interested, including sharing code.

Ross McConchie
Canberra
Australia

rgmccau

Forgot to say where I'm actually up to:

- About 1/4 of the layout is "usable" with track down, train detectors, control panel & signals installed (scenery? what's that?)

- Another 1/4 needs to have the correct wiring set up - detectors first, then signals - oh and I need to fix that bit of track....

- Control Panel Switches and LEDs, Turnout logic (basically just the switch on the panel at this point) all working as they should - for this half of the layout

- I2C communications working

- Track power "control" not connected, but not critical

- Block logic, train detection, etc working beautifully (for this half of the layout)

- The last 1/2 has track and power, but that's about it - including no control panel.

- Block logic for the rest....I'm slowly expanding the number of blocks "in use"...keeping a close eye on how much memory I'm using.

- Counting inputs/outputs as well in case I run out.

So to get train "running", at least on a double track "continuous run", it's really only a couple of days work....but I'm making signals at the moment.....and.....

Ross McConchie
Canberra
Australia

Robin2

Rather than hijack the Thread started by @bhuck why not start your own Thread, put all your existing content into it and then delete all your input from here apart from a link to your own Thread ?

That way Forum users could get full value from both experiences with a lot less confusion.

...R

boolrules

You need to thoroughly understand the information on this page:

http://www.ctcparts.com/aboutprint.htm

The Arduino will essentially mimic the CTC machine.

(Isn't it funny how the spell check does not know the word "Arduino"?)
pretzelogic.info

Go Up