Go Down

Topic: Electric gate controller (Read 166 times) previous topic - next topic

yfaykya

Hi,
I have an electric gate (swing x 2) and I would love to replace the controller with an arduino setup. The current one is a Serai CR/31 (http://www.merrimack.ie/automation/files/pdf/CR31manual.pdf).

Does anyone know of an open-design one that may exist?

thanks!

spycatcher2k

Why not just design and make it, or buy an off the shelf replacement? I you want someone to supply the code & circuit for a specific direct replacement then you may be in for a long wait.
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design & Assembly work undertaken - Arduino repairs & testing - PM for details.

PaulRB

I would love to replace the controller with an arduino setup.
Why? What do you want it to do that it doesn't do now?

Hmmm... Does your WiFi signal reach the gate, even if onlly weakly?

jrdoner

Aug 21, 2016, 04:46 am Last Edit: Aug 21, 2016, 04:47 am by jrdoner
Wow,

I looked at that picture, and you'd think this belongs in the NASA moon launch headquarters.

If all you want to do is open and close a gate, you can probably get 100 m. line-of-sight with a number of different transceivers.  The lower the frequency, the better because low frequencies attenuate more slowly with distance.

Just use an arduino tied to a transceiver at the gate (Nano + RFM22B from Hope is good combination), and build a little portable hand unit with Arduino, RFM22B and batteries.

sterretje

Adding a standard available relay board or shield to an Arduino will provide an easy and safe way to control the gate motors form your code.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

yfaykya

Why not just design and make it, or buy an off the shelf replacement? I you want someone to supply the code & circuit for a specific direct replacement then you may be in for a long wait.
Eh? I intend to but I was not for reinventing the wheel if someone had already done this.
I could buy an off the shelf replacement but I want to have one I understand and can learn from making it. I also would like to hook it into my my current MySensors network (I already have a reed switch on the gate to log/alert on open/close).

Basing off someone elses work would be a huge leg up and also give me an understanding of all that is needed. I have bought a GSM receiver and I can reuse my existing key fobs and access control pad. I just wanted to look at replacing the controller main board and was interested in logic around the motors and when to stop them etc.

This was in no way meant to be a lazy request for someone to do the work for me. I *want* to do the work but I'm newish to electronics so I will take every chance to learn. I sincerely thought that was the purpose of these forums. Apologies.

PaulRB

Aug 21, 2016, 10:50 am Last Edit: Aug 21, 2016, 11:11 am by PaulRB
I *want* to do the work but I'm newish to electronics so I will take every chance to learn. I sincerely thought that was the purpose of these forums. Apologies.
No, we apologise. We get so many newbies here on a daily basis who can't be bothered to learn, want and expect that a quick ready-made solution to their particular problem must somehow already be available and seem to believe this forum is a free service for writing code or just doing Google searches for them. It drives us all nuts.

A case in point:
I am new to arduino  learning about arduino is so cool :) 
I wanto make an alcohol controlled engine stopper could anyone give me circuit diagram and  program for it ?
Thank you

Domino60

There is 2 types of arduino newbes, the ones that want to learn and keep going in their lifes
with arduino and electronics designing and making projects every month/year and the 2nd
type that join forum just for a single project and asking for help for their problems, resolving it
and that's all for them.

D.60
To be or not to be? Read a book and you will see.

dave-in-nj

to reverse engineer what that controller does, you should make a table for each DIP switch and detail what each one does and then ignore those functions you do not plan on using.  attendant mode may not be soemthing you think you need, but they have included for a reason.

often you will find that such devices can be used on multiple applicaions and with multiple types of motors.
does your motor require only a single pulse, and then goes through it's routine ?   or do you close a relay and keep it closed until you reach the end stop, then do you hold or time out or reverse ?

whenever you have something as common as an iPhone, there are thousands of people trying to crack that. when you have something like a gate controller, you might be the 2nd or third.

best to search this list for your key words
google gate controller arduino but also
gate controller microcontroller
gate controller pi  or raspberry......

yfaykya

Thanks all. Using the dip switches as a guide is a good idea. Not sure how the motors work (pretty sure they are AC though). I had to change a big starter cap for one of them recently. Notebook and pen time :-)

Domino60

To be or not to be? Read a book and you will see.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy