Please! Help needed with parallel prgrammer conn..

I have been making the popular parallel programmer given on http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer , as i also tried making the arduino uno into an ISP (irrespective of warning by the tutorail initiator) but couldn't work,

i have run givieo and loaddrv.exe and also installed givieo.sys in windows/system32/drivers still it ain't working,

also run this registery patch given on page http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader to stop windows polling the parallel port as a printer port (and also got a success message! that registry is loaded),

Quadruple checked the solder and other connection;s on the parallel programmer,Pheww!,

Alot of work slept only 4-5 hours and back on then Failed! again.
using Arduino 020 IDE version

Seriously,Please Help!

I found that keeping the parallel cable short (~30cm) is important.

Mine is around 40-45 cms , what you think will it make a significant difference that it will disrupt uploading to that much extent?

No, I don't think so. I had the problem when mine was 1m long. 45cm is probably OK. Also try and different PC, I've had problems with some machines and not others.

somewhere else i found out that a BIOS setting for the parallel port needs to be modified ,where under the BIOS will it be found(under which heading)? or Do you think it is necessary?

Yea, I remember reading some do do about checking the BIOS. I think mine was OK.

Bottom line, if your having problems with a parallel programmer, pop for a real one. I stubbornly used mine for years, and it worked fine, but I finally got tired of crawling behind my machine to plug the damn thing in!

parallel programmer isn't verry reliable. You need to check bios settings and I had to remove the resistors because otherwise it wouldn't work. Use stand alone programmer utilty to check that the chip is correctly recognized. Also bascom is handy to check if your programmer works.
First use that until you get that working than use the ide to burn the bootloader.

One more thing I almost forgot to mention . . .
Make sure your target board is powered!
:-X