Go Down

Topic: IDE - Multiple library locations support (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Chingizlla

I am planning to add support for the IDE so that multiple library locations can be used when compiling a project. This way, libraries would be easier to track and update across multiple projects.

Reason:
When the Arduino IDE is installed into /usr/share/arduino/ it is difficalt to add 3rd party libraries, if not imposible when you don't have admin.

How:
Besides using the default 'arduino/libraries/' location I would also like to use '~/.arduino/libraries/'.

Any feed-back or requests?

robtillaart

From - http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Libraries -

If you're using one of these libraries, you need to install it first. To do so, download the library and unzip it. It should be in a folder of its own, and will typically contain at least two files, one with a .h suffix and one with a .cpp suffix. Open your Arduino sketchbook folder. If there is already a folder there called libraries, place the library folder in there. If not, create a folder called libraries in the sketchbook folder, and drop the library folder in there. Then re-start the Arduino programming environment, and you should see your new library in the Sketch > Import Library menu.

So, you can put libraries in your sketchbook besides your project folders, no need for admin rights I assume (although I never used Arduino under Linux)

Rob
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Chingizlla

I do understand that is an option when using 3rd party libraries. When I am creating and using libraries at the same time, I don't want to have to update every project after something is changed. This could be done by creating symbolic links, but this can only be done using *nix systems.

Use case:
I am creating a WiiRemote library to help teach programming to some at a FIRST club at a local highschool. It is rather rough right now and I plan to clean it up soon. They are already using it for several projects, but I would like it so that they could just pull from my git repo when I add improvements.

To be honest, I use vim and scon when working with the Arduino platform. This just seemed to a nice feature to add to the IDE and I wanted to contribute to this awesome project. Maybe I should do something off the to-do list...

P.S. sorry for the long time between post, life got crazy for awhile :)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy