Go Down

Topic: Extending CapSense Inputs (Read 727 times) previous topic - next topic

asuryan

Jul 09, 2011, 03:37 am Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011, 02:32 pm by asuryan Reason: 1
Hi!

Is there a way to extend the maximum number of capacitive sensors controlled by the
Capsense Library? Because one needs always 2 digital Pins which mades a maximum of
5 Sensors... but nothing else... :( Im thinking of something like the 74hc595 which enables
one to control a nearly infinit number of LEDs!
If it is possible using a certain chip do I have to write my own Capsense Lib when
changing the hardware?

As a base I would like to use the UNO!

Thanks in advance!! :)

tkbyd

You might find useful stuff in....

http://sheepdogguides.com/arduino/art3capsen.htm

In particular, look at the circuit diagram near the bottom... for, say, 4 cap-sense inputs, you only need 5 digital lines. Maybe I mis-understood your post, but if you thihnk you need two lines per input, no, not so.

I hope that's good news?

asuryan

Thanks for your answer!

1. Does that mean that I only need one signal pin and add lets say 8 reciever pins?

2. It would be even more cool, when using only 3 pins and read as many
capacitive sensors as I like! Eg. as I mentiond like the 74hc595 but for inputs. Is there
a chip for extendting inputs and is able to read capacitive sensors?

tkbyd

1. Does that mean that I only need one signal pin and add lets say 8 reciever pins?...

With 9 pins dedicated, you could monitor 8 touchpads.

2. It would be even more cool, when using only 3 pins and read as many
capacitive sensors as I like...

Ummm... not sure how to do this!

You COULD probably multiplex the inputs somehow, but then you will have complex polling software to write. Buy a Mega, and have more inputs than you can use!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy