Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Transistor not giving expected voltage  (Read 445 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm using a 12V power supply for powering my Arduino Uno board. I want to make a lamp blink that's apparently rated for up to 125 V (it lights enough under 12 V, but it's way too dim under the standard 5 V). Since the board's output pins' HIGH value is 5 V regardless of the power supply, I figured I'd use a 2N222 transistor as a switch to switch the 12 V to the lamp.

So I have the collector connected to the Vin pin, the emitter pin connected to the lamp, and the base pin attached to a 10K ohm resistor and then one of the output pins.

The problem is whenever the output pin is HIGH, the voltage read across the collector/emitter is still 5 V (a little less actually). Why is this? I figured the transistor would act as a simple switch and turn on the 12 V across it...?

Upstate NY
View Profile

Connect the emitter to ground.  The base through the resistor to the Arduino pin.  The bulb then connects between the collector and the +12V.
Then read the emitter to collector voltage.  It should be close to what you are looking for.

I assume you are using a 2N2222 transistor.....

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:24:42 pm by JoeO » Logged

View Profile

Hmm, I don't understand fundamentally how that's different from my circuit, and the multimeter still read 4.5 V, but the light works now!

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You had an emitter follower, what was needed was a common-emitter circuit.  Emitter follower cannot amplify voltage, only current.  Google these terms for more information.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Montreal
Edison Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

4.5 V is too much, decrease R from 10 k Ohm to 1 k Ohm or so.
Btw, transistor rated for 0.6 A max, what kind of lamp do you have, I'm afraid it take more current
than 0.6 A

View Profile

The "lamp" I'm referring to is actually an illuminated pushbutton that says "125V MAX AC/DC, 3W MAX" on the full voltage unit. The light lights under the 12 V, albeit somewhat dimly. I know transistors can amplify so is it possible to somehow amplify the 12V to make the lamp brighter?

View Profile

Yeah, I just looked up the bulb online and it states it a 28 V bulb. And I kinda figured transistors didn't have magical voltage-increasing powers, but thanks for confirming it. smiley

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: