Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Automating Lights/Feeder/Pump for Aquaponics using Arduino  (Read 5842 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

ONE LAST QUOTE AND I'LL STOP I SWEAR.
EDIT: Edited the OP, to refine the results needed

A moisture sensor is little more than a couple of parallel wires; when wet they will conduct electricity between them. You just need to add a resistor to tone down the current that's constantly running through the wire.

This sensor can work in a direct water environment? Because the overflow holes are basically just punctures in the grow-beds, with PVC pipe leading back into the tank system. If it can, then I'll run wire through the PVC using two holes and do as you say, I could then just make the tolerances for the moisture content be "Damn wet"/"Water is all over the place"/etc  (I'm only joking, if only code worked like this)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:16:54 pm by TheNewGuy » Logged

View Profile

I hate to keep bringing this back up to be read, but one final question.
After reading the OP, and seeing what needs automation, what would be a good Arduino board to use? Or should I use multiple boards?

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Using the moisture sensor in a way that would allow it to get repeatedly wet would (assumedly) result in it getting scummy and failing to read correctly.  I don't think it's a good long-term solution.

With respect to what Arduino you need your primary requirement is that you have enough IO pins for your project as it certainly isn't a processor-intensive task. There's 14 digital and 8 analog on a typical board. A Mega will give you more of both or you can add on an IO board like the Mux Shield. Whether or not you use multiple boards really depends on whatever you think is practical -- taking into account that you might need to create communication between them which could create headaches in itself depending on the distance you need to cover.

View Profile

Using the moisture sensor in a way that would allow it to get repeatedly wet would (assumedly) result in it getting scummy and failing to read correctly.  I don't think it's a good long-term solution.

With respect to what Arduino you need your primary requirement is that you have enough IO pins for your project as it certainly isn't a processor-intensive task. There's 14 digital and 8 analog on a typical board. A Mega will give you more of both or you can add on an IO board like the Mux Shield. Whether or not you use multiple boards really depends on whatever you think is practical -- taking into account that you might need to create communication between them which could create headaches in itself depending on the distance you need to cover.

If I'm simply setting:

An Archimedes-Screw on a servo motor set to spin for 1 second and then shut off for 4 hours.
Thats what? a servo attached to maybe 2 pins? If that?

electronic PH tester to check for PH drift and changes once per hour and report to a Linux PC.
I have no idea how I'll wire an electronic PH tester to an arduino....Still, probably not the best idea to keep this around. I may have to just drop features until I get better equipment.

the room lights to allow for the grower to see should be activated, simple t5 tubes (aprox. amount of tubes: 2-4)
I'm thinking I'm going to drop this, as if this guy is too lasy to hit a light switch I just dont know anymore...

a moisture content sensor to detect overflow would not be getting wet often, if it did then my system would be an utter failure, as a matter of fact, they should remain dry unless a freak incident occurs and the main draining area get clogged.

I'm thinking one board will do, with control over a servo, and moisture sensing. I may very well pair off the T5 tubes to a simple light switch, I mean really I dont think it's needed.

View Profile

This automation is getting less and less automated by the minute.
Oh well, honestly I doubt it'll be much of a hassle.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hehe. 

I think we need a project to have an Arduino alert us of the cops being suspicious of someone Automating Lights/Feeder/Pump for Aquaponics using Arduino.

Then we can make the project of Automating Lights/Feeder/Pump for Aquaponics using Arduino.

Unless of course they let you develop Arduino projects in jail.  Hmm.....
 smiley

View Profile

Hehe. 

I think we need a project to have an Arduino alert us of the cops being suspicious of someone Automating Lights/Feeder/Pump for Aquaponics using Arduino.

Then we can make the project of Automating Lights/Feeder/Pump for Aquaponics using Arduino.

Unless of course they let you develop Arduino projects in jail.  Hmm.....
 smiley

You seem quite suspicious of my motives, and I can understand that perhaps these projects have something similar to illicit growing activities, but again as I've said; I am not, and will not, be using this information to produce any illegal plants or animals. This project is for an associate as well as now part of a university project for my schooling (as I have offered to use the arduino for programming of the system it was a valid idea in my L.A.M.P courses of automation and system monitoring/design. Though it does not use much in the ways of any L.A.M.P protocols.)
Again, for the final time, this is not being used in any illegal activities and is simply a project for self sustained living.

Once more, any help would be appreciated.

Swannanoa, New Zealand
New To Arduino (and C)
View Profile

TheNewGuy

Like you i was also asked about a very similar project, and like you I got exactly the same queries "  For Dope growing ??..."
In this case its for hydroponics only, and is aimed at a DIY level for lettuce and other vegetables, but it has some of the same problems you are discovering.

For the flow detection, my thought was to make the returning water pass through a container that was counterweighted.
If there was insufficient water returning, the weight raised the container and triggered a switch/input, that raised an alarm.

As I understand the PH meter still needs checking each week, and they prefer to be wet all the time.
The designs I have been guided to, passed a sample of the water onto the PH meter, which was in a container, where the excess drained back.

This same design also had the nutrient added by pumping air into the tank. Apparently the nutrient is not the kindest on solenoids, and when they leak, they dump excess into the liquid. Using the air method ensured the outlet was above the level of the nutrient, and prevented that problem.

Anyway good luck, be a very interesting post.

mark

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: