Go Down

Topic: ATMEGA8U2 MU/AU on UNO (Read 2136 times) previous topic - next topic

vicatcu

Is there any reason I couldn't use the ATMEGA8U2-AU (TQFP32 package) to make my own Arduino UNO? My intuition says it should be fine, but I'm seeing some pin function exclusions (at least in name) in the datasheet, so I thought I'd check with the forum first...

CrossRoads

"I'm seeing some pin function exclusions"
Really? Like what?

I would think that if you could program it the same as the Uno, you'd be all set.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

vicatcu

Yea I tend to agree. I think it might just be a typographical error in the datasheet at this point, but on page 2 it shows "CTS / HWB..." on pin 13 of the QFN package, but "/ HWB /" (missing the CTS) on pin 13 of the QFP package for example. I very likely am just over-reacting to a typo.

vicatcu

I'm still curious as to why they used the QFN package on the UNO, was it just a matter of a smaller footprint was needed, or was it cheaper at the time / at the production volume,something else?

Yeah QFN is tiny. They could probably have had a less precise, and cheaper pick-and-place machine and use the TQF32 package...

It's also easier to follow the traces, though with the schematics available, I guess that's not a good reason.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy