Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATMEGA8U2 MU/AU on UNO  (Read 1783 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Is there any reason I couldn't use the ATMEGA8U2-AU (TQFP32 package) to make my own Arduino UNO? My intuition says it should be fine, but I'm seeing some pin function exclusions (at least in name) in the datasheet, so I thought I'd check with the forum first...

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

"I'm seeing some pin function exclusions"
Really? Like what?

I would think that if you could program it the same as the Uno, you'd be all set.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yea I tend to agree. I think it might just be a typographical error in the datasheet at this point, but on page 2 it shows "CTS / HWB..." on pin 13 of the QFN package, but "/ HWB /" (missing the CTS) on pin 13 of the QFP package for example. I very likely am just over-reacting to a typo.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm still curious as to why they used the QFN package on the UNO, was it just a matter of a smaller footprint was needed, or was it cheaper at the time / at the production volume,something else?

View Profile

Yeah QFN is tiny. They could probably have had a less precise, and cheaper pick-and-place machine and use the TQF32 package...

It's also easier to follow the traces, though with the schematics available, I guess that's not a good reason.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: