Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: I want to build an autonomous GPRS weather station  (Read 21354 times)
Düsseldorf, Germany
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi Daniel,
I 100% agree LinuxUser. You don't, but it's nice to have if you are developing hardware. I've got a big breadboard bought for a few Euro's. Take a look here for example: (Ok, its german but it might help to see prices) http://such001.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=444;LA=444;GROUPID=480;PROFID=3374;SEARCH=steckbrett;SID=30TOgErX8AAAIAACSePV8addad1143658f38bc93692dab11226d3#

BR Peter (schmelle2)

Düsseldorf, Germany
View Profile

Doesn't look cheap Smiley As for the UNO board, i think i will get that one, but the 32kb of memory is an issue. Maybe i can expand it by using Adafruit Industries Logger Shield with SD card?
I don't know any solution which expands the memory of the ATMEGA328. You should use as little as includes as possible.

Peter

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Nice boards Schmelle2, i like the big ones! What should i look for in a prototyping board, anything specific? Thanks!

Düsseldorf, Germany
View Profile

There are several prototyping boards available. Take a look at sparkfun.com or at freetronics.com (ProtoShield Pro).

Peter

P.S.: Use what you really need not more.
Some prototyping boards are having LED's, Switches or SMD TTL IC pads. If you don't need them throw the prototyping board away (in mind) and use one which you really need. This could save much money! If you are planning your weather station think about what you really need and take a look at the shields and if they will work together (no double assignment of ports).

Arduino rocks
View Profile

What do you mean by "double assignment of ports"?

Düsseldorf, Germany
View Profile

What do you mean by "double assignment of ports"?

If you want to use shields from various developers it could be possible that, for example port D2 of the Arduino board, is used by both developers. One developer uses the port as interrupt port and the second developer uses the port as an normal input pin. This is what I mean with "double assignment of ports".
If you really know what you want, develop your "own" shield containing all you need for your weather station and make it available for the community. This will save much money. Think about what you really need on the shield and then try to design it with Eagle from cadsoft.com or what ever. I have designed a few shields which can be found on my webside or at shieldlist. org. One of them is now version 4. Why? I don't think what I really need as I begun to develop the shield.  smiley-wink
And if you are unable to design your own shield with Eagle (for example) ask the forum if somebody can help you. I think there will be someone who can help you. But keep in mind thast you have to say what you really need.  smiley

A few posts earlier I told you that I'll send you some code from me. After a little bit thinking I'll update my website with the code for the chips and told the community the links. This is easier.

BR Peter

Arduino rocks
View Profile

BR Peter, thank you very much, you have been of great help. Vielen dank! (I was born in Austria so can mumble some german haha)
I got the CadSoft Eagle last night and was doing a tutorial. This software is awesome! The final idea is to build a standalone GPRS weather station module on a proto board just to get it working, and will gladly share that with the community. After that i would like to develop a real product after it passes all the requirements i have in mind (low or optimal power consumption and effieciency, connectivity, heating/cooling, scale/size, harsh weather conditions endurance and a lot more).

I'm looking to get this kit:
http://www.physicalcomputing.at/shop/article_A-1107800/Einsteiger-Kit-mit-Arduino-Uno.html?shop_param=cid%3D13%26aid%3DA-1107800%26
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:19:20 pm by aerozg » Logged

Düsseldorf, Germany
View Profile

Daniel,
don't hesitate to ask us if you have any questions about your project. I think the Arduino community will help you.
I'll wait for your results because I'm developing a small weather station too (without cellular connection).

Peter

P.S.: ...and thanks to Jon Oxer who told me about this discussion!

Rome
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

How is this project going on?
I think it's quite interesting, and I'd like to build such a thing, too. But I think GPRS modules are really too expensive (100-150$)! A good & cheap solution would be using an old cellphone, which can be easily found even for 20-30$. I think Siemens are most used for such applications as most of them have internal modem and standard serial connection; but unfortunately I don't know how to figure out which of the available models in stores around me have such features.

But I also have some old nokia phones suitable for this project; the only problem is they do not use standard serial protocol, but FBUS and MBUS protocols, and as far as I can see, no FBUS/MBUS libraries do exist yet (although several threads were opened about it).

Düsseldorf, Germany
View Profile

Hi JumpJack,
I know that some old Siemens Phones are having a serial Port. AFAIK the Models are M55 and S55.

HTH

BR Peter

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ok, time to update this thread smiley I was occupied with college and work assignments and had no time to spare to work on this project. I'm aware that the cheaper version would be to use a mobile phone, like this guy here http://dattein.com/blog/anemometro-gprs-arduino/ and i do own a Siemens S55 which is suited for this purpose, but i think i will try a different approach. Today i bought a radio weather station at Lidl (a supermarket-chain store), an AURIOL H13726, which is not Wi-Fi or USB enabled. The unit cost was ~50EUR, here's a link to the pics of the station: http://www.milomex.com/milomex/DOC/35344.php. It uses radio signal (25m range) to transmit sensor data to the desktop display unit. Has a lot of options, comes with anemometer and rain meter etc.. The problem i have now is how to capture the data from the desktop display unit and have it ina XML or txt format to be able to send it over the GSM/GPRS network. I will have too look into this, and post everything here when i'm done with the research. Don't think this will be an easy task.

Here are some pics:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:25:40 am by aerozg » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

According to the manual, the data from the sensors is transmitted using a standard 434MHz frequency.

I know there are RF Link receivers available on the internet shops, but will have to figure out how to convert and send the data over the GSM network.

Rome
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I just bought same Auriol weather station, and I also found an italian guy who, some months ago, successfully interfaced it to its PC using an Arduino. I tried to contact him, and I'm  waiting for replies.
http://forum.meteonetwork.it/strumenti-meteo/112836-stazione-lidl-45.html#post1058137173

I have these two 433 receivers, is one of them suitable?

8110-RTFSAW
8110-AC-RX2

http://www.futurashop.it/
(put above codes in search field)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:40:23 am by jumpjack » Logged

Rome
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Other useful resource I found:
LINK

http://kayno.net/2010/01/15/arduino-weather-station-receiver-shield/

http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/weather-station-receiver
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:06:57 am by jumpjack » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Nice work, thanks for the heads up. I found the same websites and the source code is of great help. I just have to figure out the data format. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to send the captured data over the GSM/GPRS network.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: