Go Down

Topic: I want to build an autonomous GPRS weather station (Read 24 times) previous topic - next topic

aerozg

Dec 21, 2010, 03:36 pm Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010, 03:37 pm by aerozg Reason: 1
Yes, the 4 minutes ringed a bell, i immediately looked it up, the manual says the base station needs approx. 4 minutes to sync with the sensors, but only for the first time you set it up, or when you need to change the batteries. It doesn't say it syncs every 4 minutes on its own. Are you suggesting that it is? Because if that signal is complex as you say it is, than that's got to be it.

"Data stored for further processing" could mean only one thing, it is stored in temporary memory and used to calculate the average values of wind speed, wind chill and possibly everything else measured.

jumpjack

Dec 21, 2010, 04:54 pm Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010, 05:00 pm by jumpjack Reason: 1
Yes, the 4 minutes ringed a bell, i immediately looked it up, the manual says the base station needs approx. 4 minutes to sync with the sensors, but only for the first time you set it up, or when you need to change the batteries. It doesn't say it syncs every 4 minutes on its own. Are you suggesting that it is? Because if that signal is complex as you say it is, than that's got to be it.

I only saw that the 4-mins signal is 3-4 times longer than the 30-secs signal, didn't examine it.

"Data stored for further processing" could mean only one thing, it is stored in temporary memory and used to calculate the average values of wind speed, wind chill and possibly everything else measured.

It's just my idea, I didn't read it anywhere. Don't know if there is onboard processing in sensor.

aerozg

Thanks for that post from HackADay, it will help. Sserial2mobile i found a month ago and i'm looking into it. And the Arduino GRPS module is indeed one of the cheapest i have seen yet, i think i will get that one.

jumpjack

GPRS modems for 25$ is a very cool news, thanks! But I see I should connect the modem to the arduino through TX and RX pins of a pl2303 chip, which is just an USB-serial converter; as such a converter costs around 10$, should we guess that some GPRS serial modem exist and are sold for 15$ ?!?

Go Up