Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: is my art project feasible?  (Read 6586 times)
Florida
hookedup!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Red and White wires are Left and Right Sound
Yellow is standard video

To run three monitors with the same video and sound, you may be able to use a VGA splitter.  To run different videos and different sound, you may need three computers.

I would suggest a very small prototype .. end to end with a borrowed monitor a a few smaller screens.  This will help proof of concept the implementation and end results.

Have fun smiley

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

As for splitting the video output.  Not sure how well 10 would work but you can get a normal Y splitter to split your output.  You could use 2 y splitters to get 3 outputs from a single source.  Beyond that you may end up seeing a price for a "video distribution" device being a bit costly compared to other options.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

video distribution.  see, i would never come up with these ideas if it weren't for you guys telling me about them.  that's where you're being really useful to a newbie and an artist, and that's worth brownie points in heaven.

i went and looked up video distribution machine, but they seem to be all about sending the same signal to multiple tvs.  is that how i would send ten different signals (i mean ten the same signals at different times)?

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

Video distribution is basically a big splitter.  This would send the same video output to as many outputs as your distribution system supports.  That said, you may find total cost to be not much different to have say 3 video players and 3 - 10x distribution setups as it would cost to have 10 video players and 20 2x y splitters.  The later would give you 10 video screens with different videos running in three sections each.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

well, that's not what i need.  so i need ten individual players unless i can rig a computer to send ten individual signals, right?

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

Can you mock up/describe the details on your vision for a final build?  Basically - what it would look like and what videos should be played where?  Not the sources, just what you see when looking at it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:38:44 pm by marklar » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

i would like up to ten screens of various sizes, with speakers, from 1.8" to 7", ideally sewn with somewhat random spacing into the fabric of a 2x7 yard length of cloth that will be either displayed flat on a wall or wrapped around a 9' post.

the screens will all show a single video, compiled from interviews and run from different starting points for each screen, so that they're all showing different parts of the video at the same time.  the entire video would be made up of 2-5 minute segments, from 10-30 segments of mostly talking heads.

the sound should be clearly audible in front of each screen, and at a proper viewing distance of 10-20' the voices should all blend together into a soft rustling sound.

if it's not possible to sew the devices in, then the second best idea is to group them together on a wall and do exactly the same thing with them.

i hope that's a specific enough vision.  it will likely change...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:11:57 pm by jeanneM » Logged

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

You will need 10 players for that setup, but you should be able to use simple DVD players and burn your own video.  The trick here will be having players that allow for the video to loop.  If not, you may need to create the video of all the videos combined and repeat over and over for a couple of hours worth of video.  Then you could just start them at different intervals or make a DVD for each on that starts at different places.  Then you could simply restart them all.  If you had 10 players of the same type,then a single remote may start them all at once.

Someone else may have some other input on how to get 10 video outputs, but with the need for sound on them .. looks like you will need a unique player for each screen for the desire results.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

i don't mind putting as many copies of the video onto a dvd as i can get.

i guess if i had 10 mp4 players it would be the same, just more expensive, right?

well, that's simple.  and when the show was over, the locals could walk away with their own players.  do these things use different country formats?  can you hack that?

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

i guess if i had 10 mp4 players it would be the same, just more expensive, right?
Correct - but smaller and easier to deal with / most likely will allow for looping videos better, etc.

do these things use different country formats?  
Not that I know of, but I can't say for sure.  If someone knows, please chime in.

Sounds like you are on the right track.  You may have to use small speakers to go with your 2 and 3 inch screens as most of those will not have built in speakers.  Many of the 7" ones do.  Consider that when looking at overall cost and effect.

Have fun smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:18:15 am by marklar » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

thanks for all your input.  i'll undoubtedly have more questions, as soon as i think of them.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: