Go Down

Topic: Pure Virtual Method Problems (Read 681 times) previous topic - next topic

davez5

I have found a few posts here and there and on avr freaks about there being problems with pure virtual methods.  Has there been a good fix for this yet?  I just ran across the problem using Arduino 0022.

Coding Badly

On a PC, it is possible for the run-time library to trap a call to a pure virtual function and do something useful; typically report a run-time error and terminate the application.  The same is not true for a microcontroller.  How is the application terminated?  How should the fault be reported?  How much code space are you willing to give up to be able to trap the fault?

I suggest avoiding pure virtual functions.

sixeyes

Is there any other way to do "interfaces" in C++, other than using pure abstract classes?

Iain

gerg

Yes. ABCs are a special case in that they can not be directly instantiated - they can only be used as a base class. You are always free to use non-ABCs for your base classes. Simply declare the methods virtual and provide a default implementation. Override the default behavior in your derived class with whichever implementation you desire.
http://maniacalbits.blogspot.com

Coding Badly

Code: [Select]
class Interface
{
public:

virtual unsigned AddRef( void ) = 0;
};

class Whatever : public Interface
{
public:

virtual unsigned AddRef( void )
 {
   return( ++_refs );
 }

private:
 unsigned _refs;
};

void setup( void )
{
 Whatever t;
 Interface* i;

i = &t;

i->AddRef();
}

void loop( void )
{
}

A better choice...

Code: [Select]
class Interface
{
public:

virtual unsigned AddRef( void )
  {
    return( 0 );
  }
};

@davez5: What are the problems?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy