Go Down

Topic: Using an Arduino to flash new image? (Read 896 times) previous topic - next topic

maniacbug

I want to set up an automated testing environment with several Arduinos.  The tricky part is flashing them with a new sketch image.  I could connect all of them to a PC using an FTDI cable, but at $15 each, I'd rather avoid that part.

Wondering if I could rig something so that a single Arduino was connected to the PC (actually I'd probably use Ethernet), and then could program several other Arduinos using software serial.

Is it as simple as resetting the target and then just feeding the new HEX file to TX/RX pins?  Or is there a whole complex protocol to work through?

Coding Badly

I want to set up an automated testing environment with several Arduinos

Will they all have the same sketch loaded?  Are they all the same board (Uno)?

maniacbug

I want to set up an automated testing environment with several Arduinos

Will they all have the same sketch loaded?  Are they all the same board (Uno)?

They would all be the same board.  would like to have different sketches, but I could work around that by talking to each node in serial afterward and giving a configuration .

Coding Badly

Is it as simple as resetting the target and then just feeding the new HEX file to TX/RX pins?  Or is there a whole complex protocol to work through?

There is a protocol involved.  It is not complicated and you have access to the source code / documentation for both sides (avrdude, Arduino ISP, bootlader, datasheet).  But there is a protocol.

How many are "several Arduinos"?

maniacbug

There is a protocol involved.  It is not complicated and you have access to the source code / documentation for both sides (avrdude, Arduino ISP, bootlader, datasheet).  But there is a protocol.

Ok, that's what I feared, thanks.  Just wanted to see if this was going to be easy, or wait until I have the patience to dig into a whole big task.  Anything that involves the AVR datasheet means setting aside some long hours!

How many are "several Arduinos"?

6-10 to start, maybe more once it's working really well.

P/S Props on your moderator knighthood ;)

Go Up