Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: I need some Eagle help  (Read 1722 times)
Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am building a circuit that uses an DIP8 LM393 comparator. It will be a level converter to go from FTDI usb converter cable to a 12v vehicle computer. The PCB is going to have very little current going through it like most any other serial communication devices.

My questions are: I want to cut my end off of the FTDI cable and solder the wires into my PCB. How do I make the holes in eagle and what size do they need to be?

I have a few Vias and it gives me a drill size warning. What drill size is recommended?

Lastly, what size resistor is the best to choose using the resistor Library in eagle? I like the standard through-hole resistor like found at hobby stores.

Any help would be great! I am sure I will need more later,
Mark

Leeds, UK
View Profile

For the FTDI take a look in the Sparkfun library and grab the M06 part. There might be a specific header somewhere if you feel like scouring the web.

With regards to the resistors, when you are looking through the 'resistor' library the parts have a 'type'. The First half is the width in mm (at least for the EU parts) and the second part is the length. The 'grid' is the distance between the two solder holes.

For example, a 0309/10 resistor is 3mm in diameter, with a 9mm length and the holes are set 10mm apart. Therefore, simply measure your resistor and use something similar.

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
View Profile

Thank you A.D. ! Your information is golden! The sparkfun library is going to add a lot to the eagle environment!

Does anyone know how to solve the drill size errors when using Via's? " the little holes that transfer from a top trace to a bottom trace".

Thanks,
Mark

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I use .012" drills for 0.01" traces.
Need bigger drillss for fatter power traces.

Take a look at eagle file for an existing board and use the same.
Or put everything on auto, that should help.

What you can do is let the autorouter run also, see what it uses, then use the same settings.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
View Profile

I use .012" drills for 0.01" traces.
Need bigger drillss for fatter power traces.

Take a look at eagle file for an existing board and use the same.
Or put everything on auto, that should help.

What you can do is let the autorouter run also, see what it uses, then use the same settings.

Thanks for the tips, I will keep plugging away!

Mark

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: