Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New product: Digit Shield  (Read 2501 times)
Minneapolis, MN USA
Never catch a falling soldering iron...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This new product is simple but very useful.  The Digit Shield lets you easily add four 7-segment displays to your Arduino.  You may have seen a similar shield in the past, but this one is less that half the cost (only $22.95), open source, and very easy to use because I provided a library with a simple API.
All the details are at http://nootropicdesign.com/digitshield/

Features:
    + An easy-to-use open source library makes it very simple to display integers and floating point numbers.
    + Multiplexing of digits is implemented using a timer overflow interrupt handler for flicker-free display.
    + Only uses 4 Arduino pins (2,3,4,5).
    + All through-hole parts for easy kit assembly.  Also available fully assembled/tested.
    + Available in two display colors: cool, crisp green or blazing red-orange!

shieldlist.org offers a bounty (a Freetronics protoshield) for newly-reported shields.  I have not reported this new shield because I wanted to give someone else a chance to collect the bounty.  Who will report it first?

Minneapolis, MN USA
View Profile

For a limited time, BLUE Digit Shields are available while supplies last.  These are extremely bright and can make your project look great!

More info here

Even though blue 7-segment displays are significantly more expensive than red or green, I'm offering assembled blue digit shields for the same price.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Hi Michael,

Love your boards.

I'm working on a 4-digit board myself at present (not a shield so no competition), there's something very satisfying about getting LEDs to work, much more so than LCDs smiley

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

did you post it on - http://shieldlist.org/ - allready?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Minneapolis, MN USA
View Profile

@Graynomad: Thanks!  I agree that LEDs are more fun.

@robtillaart: I did not submit it to shieldlist.org, but someone else may have.  The problem is that Jon Oxer has a many-month backlog of shield submissions that have not been posted on the site.  I submitted my Video Experimenter shield in March and it still is not on shieldlist.org!

View Profile

nootropic,

I think your designs are awesome and makes things a lot easier to work with(expander and digit shield). I was meaning to ask you about using multiple Digit shields when I saw you have an article describing it on your website already. Would work well for what Im thinking.

Roy

Panucatt Devices

Minneapolis, MN USA
View Profile

@roypogi,

That's great.  I had never thought of using multiple Digit Shields with an Arduino, but one of my customers had proposed the idea, so I enhanced the library to support it.  I've been so happy about the innovation that comes from my customers!

http://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2011/05/21/multiple-digit-shields/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: