Go Down

Topic: Suggestions required for mounting 192 LEDs (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic

wossname

Jan 12, 2011, 07:22 pm Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011, 07:24 pm by wossname Reason: 1
Imagine a tightly-packed rectangular grid of 192 individual discrete 5mm LEDs, in a 24x8 formation...

I intend to use them for POV display purposes and I have all the circuitry finished already (phew!).

My problem is that I need some physical means of mounting them all  neatly and in a manner that allows any individual LED to be simply pulled out and replaced (eg. with a different colour one, or a replacement for a blown LED, yada yada).

I've searched very hard for things like "LED Mount", "LED holder", "LED PCB connector" and all combinations of those, but to no avail.  The only item I did find was about 65 cents for a single LED holder of appropriate manufacture - that is WAAAAY too expensive for my budget.  (It was the "VCCLite PCV 220", which is pretty close but it's not stackable and it's overengineered for my needs).

I'm willing to make something that would let me do this but I an mot sure how I would even attempt that.

All my LEDs will share common anodes (per column) and common cathodes (per row), so they will be addressed as row/column pairs.

I'm completely stumped on this one.  Do you guys have any crazy suggestions I could try, or know of any existing solution?

Bearing in mind that I already have the 192 LEDs sitting on my bench and waiting to be plugged into the project as soon as I find a way around this technical obstacle.

chiva

Mercadillo electrónico. Kit iniciación a Arduino, shield LCD a color y más cosas!

wossname

Thanks for the reply :).  That was my first thought, but I discounted it because of the difficulty in routing the copper tracks for common anodes and cathodes.

Good idea but for my needs it's still too tricky because I don't have access to accurate manufacturing processes (in my tiny budget anyway).  I'm just a noob in my bedroom soldering bits together :)

Barx

I would say if your packing them tightly together then you going to have that problem no matter what mounting solution you find. Good luck with it though and dont forget the pics for us when its done.

chiva

Jan 12, 2011, 09:24 pm Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011, 09:25 pm by chiva Reason: 1
Oh, sorry then. But I don't find too many differences between the VCCLite PCV 220 and the female header.

Why do you say it is difficult the routing? You must it do anyways, no? And what do you mean with accurate manufacturing processes? It is just a 1 or 2 copper layers with trough-hole components.

And I also solder in my bedroom  ;D, don't have an "electronics space"
Mercadillo electrónico. Kit iniciación a Arduino, shield LCD a color y más cosas!

Go Up