Go Down

Topic: Suggestions required for mounting 192 LEDs (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

marklar

Jan 13, 2011, 02:06 pm Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 02:07 pm by marklar Reason: 1
What is POV?

POV is persistance of vision, which uses the fact that your eye retains the light image for a short period of time.  Like when you twirl a light at night - it makes a circle.

This is used to make pictures in the air by moving it - hence the need for them to be soldered of otherwise fastened in a really good way.

CrossRoads

Thanks. Aren't POV devices usually 1 LED in width? 24x8 seems kinda big for that.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

marklar

Ah - that was a leading question .. was wondering how a god didn't know that one.  

Now that you mention it .. yea ... normally 1 width.   I too am interested in now 8 pixels wide will be used in a POV.

CrossRoads

Jan 13, 2011, 05:06 pm Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 05:25 pm by CrossRoads Reason: 1
Well, if 24x8 is really desired, this might be a good time to learn about PCB services.
For example, expresspcb.com will make you three 2.5" x 3.8" double sided boards with really fast turnaround for $51. I spent just a few minutes drawing up a bunch of 5mm LEDa on a board - 24 wide won't fit on a board, but 16 will. Stopping at 12 x 8, adding some via & mounting holes, you could mount 2 side by side by trimming the 2nd one (and I even added a couple of lines for a hacksaw guide), putting in 8 jumpers to connect the two and bring all your lines out to 2 connectors to go to your transistor drivers.

Desoldering 2 leads to remove an LED is pretty simple, I've had to do to it a couple of times for bad LEDs, the boards have held up well to reworking with no lifted traces.

Could even move the 8 pin connector over add your current limit resisters there too.

Go Up