Go Down

Topic: error compiling on gcc-avr 4.6.1 (Read 15656 times) previous topic - next topic

albinou

For those of you who don't have the gcc-avr-4.6.0-3 package anymore, you still can download it here :

http://schlunix.org/archlinux/pool/community/gcc-avr-4.6.0-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz
or
http://schlunix.org/archlinux/pool/community/gcc-avr-4.6.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

And thanks for your patch, ygrek. It seems to work fine ;)

EvolveElectronics

Just want to let you know that using  the following command in fedora15 i was able to get the Arduino IDE to compile again.

Code: [Select]
sudo yum downgrade avr-gcc avr-gcc-c++

Kojans

Hi,

had the same issue here with gcc-avr-4.6.1 on Arch Linux. But today I could update to gcc-avr-4.6.2-1; and that solved it.

I have same problem!

const char num1[] PROGMEM = "09194986646", num2[] PROGMEM = "44166762";
char* num[]  PROGMEM = {(void *)num1, (void *)num2};

It works fine when compiling with WINAVR2010 but compiling

const char num1[] PROGMEM = "09194986646", num2[] PROGMEM = "44166762";
PGM_P num[]  PROGMEM = {(void *)num1, (void *)num2};

with gcc version 4.6.2 (AVR_8_bit_GNU_Toolchain_3.4.1_798) the compiler returns this error:

monitoring.c:10:7: error: variable 'num' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'

Have anybody solved this ptoblem?

K5CZ

Two years ago, and I have same problem:
Using older versions of Arduino IDE is OK, but latest betas 1.5.6 , 1.5.7 and 1.5.8 produces same error:

error: variable Text'Info' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'

My program contains:
char TextInfo [] PROGMEM = "some text";

Changing to
const TextInfo [] PROGMEM = "some text";

causes another error:
error: 'TextInfo' does not name a type

Please, I am beginner and I do not uderstand all of C++ nuances, can you help me to solve this problem?
Arduino Uno R3, Arduino Mega 2560 R3, Ethermega (R3), and some Ethernet Shields (R3), Chronodots, TMP36 sensors, DS18B20 sensors, LCDs/TFTs, RS232C to learn and play...

AdaptTech

I'm also having the same problem.  Could anyone please lend a hand?

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Arduino IDE 1.0.5

By using the Time library I get

/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:11:0:
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:41:22: error: variable 'monthNames_P' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
PGM_P monthNames_P[] PROGMEM =

tf68

Do just what the error message says and declare 'monthNames_P' a constant.

PGM_P const monthNames_P[] PROGMEM =

AdaptTech

I already did, but now I get different error messages:

/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp: In function 'const char* monthStr(uint8_t)':
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:63:35: error: new declaration 'const char* monthStr(uint8_t)'
const char* monthStr(uint8_t month)
                                   ^
In file included from /home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:21:0:
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/Time.h:127:7: error: ambiguates old declaration 'char* monthStr(uint8_t)'
char* monthStr(uint8_t month);
       ^
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp: In function 'const char* monthShortStr(uint8_t)':
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:69:40: error: new declaration 'const char* monthShortStr(uint8_t)'
const char* monthShortStr(uint8_t month)
                                        ^
In file included from /home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:21:0:
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/Time.h:129:7: error: ambiguates old declaration 'char* monthShortStr(uint8_t)'
char* monthShortStr(uint8_t month);
       ^
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp: In function 'const char* dayStr(uint8_t)':
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:77:31: error: new declaration 'const char* dayStr(uint8_t)'
const char* dayStr(uint8_t day)
                               ^
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/Time.h:128:7: error: ambiguates old declaration 'char* dayStr(uint8_t)'
char* dayStr(uint8_t day);
       ^
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp: In function 'const char* dayShortStr(uint8_t)':
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/DateStrings.cpp:83:36: error: new declaration 'const char* dayShortStr(uint8_t)'
const char* dayShortStr(uint8_t day)
                                    ^
/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/Time.h:130:7: error: ambiguates old declaration 'char* dayShortStr(uint8_t)'
char* dayShortStr(uint8_t day);

lesto

yout "Time" library is broken.

it is non official, so just delete it, it is here:

/home/adapttech/sketchbook/libraries/Time/

and look if you have a new version. You may fix it, the problem SEEMS that function declaration is const char* but function implementation use char*.
sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

AdaptTech

Hello Iesto,

You were right, I was using an older version that didn't implement everything correctly.  The latest one can be found here: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Time

Go Up