Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hydrogen wifi shield  (Read 3605 times)
vancouver, canada
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi

Has anyone tried out the Hydrogen wifi shield yet? (FTR, I'm not associated with the manufacturer in any way)

Regards,
Ned

https://diysandbox.com/our-products/arduino-shields/hydrogen

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

no but the specs sounda quite good!

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Bought one today. Excited smiley

View Profile

I have bought one too, yet to be shipped. I am actually looking for a wi-fi board that allows DHCP client. Does anyone know of anything else other than Hydrogen. I have tried the CuHead Wi-Fi shield and the DiamondBack from Linksprite. I am not sure if they support DHCP.

Wellington, New Zealand
View Profile

I have bought one too, yet to be shipped. I am actually looking for a wi-fi board that allows DHCP client. Does anyone know of anything else other than Hydrogen. I have tried the CuHead Wi-Fi shield and the DiamondBack from Linksprite. I am not sure if they support DHCP.

Well one is the RovingNetworks WiFly RN-XV http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10822.  It does support DHCP.

View Profile

Yes, I had seen this one too. However, I found it hard to use compared to the WiShield CuHead and DiamondBack 1.0. The libraries I did not find, also didn't find much about it being used widely in-spite of being better than the other Wi-Fi modules. I was also worried to find out taht Sparkfun no longer supports this module.

Wellington, New Zealand
View Profile

What makes you think Sparkfun doesn't support the WiFly?  They still seem to be stocking and selling several models of it.

As far as libraries go, you don't need one for the WiFly for basic packet streaming (UDP or TCP).  You just configure it via serial or telnet and then send and receive packet data via the serial interface.

View Profile

dhunt, your statement really makes me more confident and happy to have bought one Sparkfun Wi-Fly RN-XV (RN-171). However, the past two day's experience makes me nervous. I have tried to use this with different libraries. Also tried to establish a basic Telnet setup using some terminal emulator (Putty/Indigo). "No bridge initiated" were the results. I have been using Arduino UNO R3 with the Wifly. I simply used some jumpers (total four) to connect them directly. For 3.3V, GND, TX and RX. Pin 2 on UNO connected to DOUT on module and pin 3 of UNO to DIN of the Wifly. Even the simple codes have failed me. I am a bit disappointed too. Is there anything I should do or am I on the wrong track already? Please suggest.

Wellington, New Zealand
View Profile

You can't connect the Rx pin directly to a 5V Arduino, you need to level-shift it down to 3.3V otherwise you will damage it.  You can do this with a couple of resistors to create a voltage divider.  Or you can get an XBee shield for the module, like this one http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/xbee®-shield-p-419.html?cPath=132_134.

You don't need a library to use it for basic operation (e.g. receiving UPD or TCP traffic from any host, or sending UPD or TCP traffic to one host).  You configure it via serial or telnet - take a look at the user manual for a description of the various configuration options, how to join a wifi network, how to open a TCP connection, etc: http://www.rovingnetworks.com/resources/download/93/WiFly_User_Manual. More information is available here: http://www.rovingnetworks.com/resources/show/product:1.

There are libraries available, they just send the same serial commands as in the user manual.  They make it more convenient to change the configuration on the fly, for example to connect to different host PCs.

View Profile

I have a project that currently works with a Copperhead WiFi shield, which essentially is a clone of the Asynclabs WiFi shield and uses it's library. Since Asynclabs has closed their doors, development on this shield and its clones has stalled hardware wise as well as software wise. The library is not necessarily simple to use and is not code compatible with the Arduino Ethernet Library. That can be an issue if one wants to use libraries that rely on the Ethernet library, for example recontana's ArdOSC library.

I recently bought a Hydrogen WiFi shield and all the sample sketches worked "out of the box". Following their forum I can see that they are supporting their product and are still actively developing their library. Unless one want's to wait for the Arduino WiFi shield I'd say that currently the Hydrogen (or the Platinum) is the way to go.

Also the Hydrogen claims some compatibility with the existing Arduino Ethernet library and that is a feature that is not to be underestimated! I have not had the opportunity to do much with it other than getting the sample sketches to work so cannot make any statement as to Ethernet code compatibility yet ;-)

View Profile

sparkfun's wifly modules are pain in the ass. no real tutorial and everybody says different things.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: