Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: network enabled home power monitor.  (Read 3263 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I know lots of people who genuinely couldn't wire a plug.

And many that can't tell if they are getting good advice or bad advice, particularly from anonymous web based sources.

Lefty

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Maybe AWOL scared it off.
I do have that effect on some people.

Sometimes someone will ask a question here, and from the way they ask it, the only answer is "don't".
I could have written "Don't try it", but the ex-PFC Wintergreen in my head would have suggested it "too prolix".

The OP asked about North American voltage, but European frequency.
With that kind of knowledge and attention to detail, what other answer was there to give?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:43:47 am by AWOL » Logged

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Swannanoa, New Zealand
New To Arduino (and C)
View Profile

@draythomp
The other possibility is to fit the whole thing inside a box right next to the board, and only have the power pack and network cables exiting.
Over here as long as you need a tool (screwdriver) to open it, its deemed acceptable, although it should have a warning label.

I was wrong about the grounding...misinformation from a human source..that I need to talk to again.
I prefer the real deal, rather than Wiki, but the 127MB download would scare anyone off, which like NZ is strange "why you would scare off people from seeking information on the correct manner to do things".??

Now I'm not sure who KE7GKP was sniping at with this
Apparently volume of posting doesn't necessarily correlate with knowledge of the topic.
I thought the posting count was related to Arduino forum posts, no matter what the size, content or usefulness of the post.

There are lots of reasons why a single earth point is used, and NZ is slowly adopting to it, however its only ever had the ground and neutral joined at switchboard, or sub boards.

re exposed power lugs below the CTs. If you adopt the switch off first, then its all fine.
I'm just surprised how exposed they are, mainly because electricians have been known to work live, rather than switching off the power.

Mark

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: